UB3 cluster reprogram

pitzel

~12 years ago I bought a UB3 cluster that was run up to ~200k miles, and, stupidly believing that I would never own the car long enough to ever use it, ran it up to its upper limit with a signal generator.  

Now I regret that, and would like to actually use the UB3 cluster for its intended purpose.  My car having 257k km's on it now.  

Anyone know how to actually roll these back or reprogram them?  

Okay, further research indicates that the cluster uses a NDM457C chip (Nippon Denso) which is an EEPROM.  There is a software/hardware combo, for about $80 (from China), that can program the chip "in circuit with appropriate probing of the chip.  The NDM457C is exposed through the plastic case, so disassembly of the cluster isn't even required.  The software allows for the clean entry of mileage, so "by hand" decoding of the EEPROM is unnecessary.

Software/hardware at:  http://www.microcontroller-cafe.com.ua/products/automotive/NDM457C

Such system also reprograms the digital clusters in:

1) HONDA Prelude, 1994-1996 (OKI 16911G)
2) LEXUS LS, 1996-1999 (TC97101P)
3) LEXUS ES, CS, LS 1992-1995 (NDM457C)
4) GM Cutlas Suprime International, BUICK Regal 1991-1995, PONTIAK Grand AM (NDM457C)
5) GM Safari, Savana, Gxpress Astro, Caprice (Delco 51006A)
6) BUICK Reviera 1996-1999 (TC97101P)
7) SAAB 900, 1994-1996 (59C11)

The problem is....its $80!  Anyone else have the need to do any of this kind of work (odometer modification) on their UB3 or other NDM457C cluster?  

Edited by pitzel
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Years ago I messed around with these clusters. I tried to manually advance the mileage on my cluster and had success at it. Trying to roll one back is going to be harder. There used to be information on this forum for doing such a thing but that escapes me now. 

• 1 month later...

Maybe it's because I'm used to Audi pricing now, but $80 doesn't seem that bad to me. Especially if you can convince just one more person that they want a correct odometer, split the cost. 

When I get my UB3 in the coupe I`ll probably want the correct mileage from the analog cluster. I`d be willing to pay to have it done as I dont have the talent to learn that sort of tech curve.