Rounded bolt on the water pump

Brodizzle83

I was trying to replace the water pump when I rounded the bolt head. Any advice as to extract the bolt with a rounded off head?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

START with a six-point socket instead of your 12-point.  (Wild guess:  There's a lesson to be learned here.)  (Second Wild Guess:  The bolts have corroded to the casting, you're gonna need heat, and you'll be lucky if the aluminum is saveable.)

I've removed lug nuts with those so-called "Turbo" sockets.  They're tapered inside, with a "reverse-thread" machining that tends to pull the damaged fastener in, and wedge it as you turn the socket to loosen the fastener.

The ones I have are specifically for lug nuts.  SK sells some intended for general purpose.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007GGUEC/ref=psdc_553372_t1_B0007GGUE2

412P2N6KKDL.jpg

Edited by Schurkey
  • Like 2

Yup those things work awesome Shurkey.  Best purchase I've made in a long time was buying a set.  They're also great for removing the power steering pressure hose from the rack when you have to saw it off and can't seem to turn it off with a socket alone due to fitment issues.