New from Virginia - First time W-body owner

Jamnar

For a decade or so my wife and I have been owners of several vehicles from dead brands.

(Geo Metro, Saturn SW2, Plymouth Grand Voyager SE and the one oddball because the brand is still in existence - 1985 F250)

It's kind of fun in a way but finding parts gets more difficult every year. I was telling my wife maybe we need to find something that is still easy to find in the junkyards and was so popular that parts are still easy to come by new. Next thing I know a coworker puts his 1999 Buick Century Limited up for sale. Bingo!

My first order of business then is to find out what vehicles have components in common with this one and what bolt-in swaps can be done for upgrades.

• Like 2

Buick still exists though. Saturns were plentiful but the thing with compact cars is that they get scrapped quicker than full size cars or trucks do.

That's right, Buick does still exist which means Buick parts departments still exist.

The constant problem when dealing with dead brands is when you need an oem part there is no longer an oem source.

On 10/13/2019 at 6:44 PM, Jamnar said:

That's right, Buick does still exist which means Buick parts departments still exist.

The constant problem when dealing with dead brands is when you need an oem part there is no longer an oem source.

Yeah but these cars are plentiful in the junkyards.  There's a few "fit and finish" sort of things like exterior trim kits, that would be nice to have "fresh" , but there's still enough of that stuff kicking around eBay and similar for most of these cars.