88' Grand Prix cooling fan upgrade

Vince G.

Hi everyone, have had this car for a long time, the 2.8 is a real trooper, I've had bad boil over problems for a long time do to the wrong C.T.S being installed, but head & intake gaskets never failed, since I got the car, went to tons of auto parts stores gave the spec's and kept getting the wrong switch ( fan coming on at 252 degrees ) then I found Rock Auto, when I looked up the switch on their website the last switch in the list was for an 88' 2.8 with auto trans ( 2 Dr. coupe ONLY ) so I got it and installed it ( it was a GM part) fan now turns on at 225 deg. and off at 185 deg which is great but the magnet type fan seems to draw a lot of amperage, so I changed it the first time with a an aftermarket which was also magnet type motor, in the really hot weather standing still with the a/c on in traffic idle temp was 250 deg with a new radiator, condenser and thermostat so I did some research and found a fan motor that was for a corvette but would fit my application it was a brand new GM Motor with a different part number then mine came with so I felt maybe it would be a higher RPM motor but it practically ran the same speed as the others using a rpm gun with reflective tape to test them all, so does anyone know of a really fast turning fan motor for this car and the part number, I want to keep the single fan set up, too much of a pain to switch to dual fans.

Thanks !

That's my nomination for the longest, single-sentence post on this forum.  I did a quick count, you've got thirteen commas and one end-of-sentence period.  (Other periods are for abbreviations.)

Around here, they start teaching sentence structure in third grade.

"I" would bite the bullet and go with dual fans.  Considering what you've spent so far, a Treasure Yard dual-fan system from another W-body should be easy enough.

Edited by Schurkey