Mystery Wire

K&R

I’m pulling the top pad off the dash of my 90 Vert  and behind the top switch was this connecting wire wrapped in tape. Although I have a aftermarket radio I don’t think it goes to it. Since this car left the factory a coupe and converted later could this be the outlet for the fog lights or bass audio switch? 

874FEA5D-08B6-450C-A7CC-1A3B39F9C77B.jpeg

• 3 months later...

I would strongly say no on the possibility of the fog light/audio bass control and HUD connector options.  I have all these items and if you look at the female connector on the back of them, they take a large number of pin/block shaped male connectors.

The HUD male connector/wiring will also be high up in the middle of the dash more in center with the digital dash because of the HUD location as well.

K&R, if you look at the block shaped blue pin connector wrapped in white tape in your pic at the bottom, that would be the connector I bet for the fog light/audio base control switch.  It has 8 pins and a single blade locater that matches up.

I will look on the parts car tomorrow and see if I can help you figure out what that more slender connector is for.

20191223_214410[1].jpg

20191223_214341[1].jpg

20191223_214614[1].jpg

20191223_214607[1].jpg

Edited by jiggity76

1 hour ago, mmyers70 said:

Thinking that might be the connecting wire for the heads up display

You know what, I think you might be right!  I totally forgot the 88-90 cars had the first gen HUD units and therefor the dimmer switch is located on the left side of the dash.  The HUD in my 91 Cutlass has the 2nd gen HUD unit and they have a totally different setup compared to the earlier cars.  I bet this slimmer male connector is for that switch.  These earlier cars must have be pre-wired for it and that's why it's just floating around in there since K&R's 90 vert wouldn't have HUD (94 was the first year for the HUD option in the verts).  It would be pre-wired for it though since HUD was available on the coupes and the first year 1990 Cutlass sedan, although I've never seen a 90 Cutlass sedan optioned with HUD that I can think of.  I'm going to look on my 89 Cutlass parts car and see if that same connector is there like in K&R's vert.

My bad and I apologize, thank you for posting!

Edited by jiggity76

The part # book is what makes me think it's the connector for the HUD dimmer switch.  Number #75, 78, and 81 in the diagram and part description.

20191223_230131[1].jpg

20191223_230053[1].jpg

Edited by jiggity76

6 minutes ago, jiggity76 said:

although I've never seen a 90 Cutlass sedan optioned with HUD that I can think of. 

Because none were made according to the records.

8 minutes ago, ManicMechanic said:

Because none were made according to the records.

Thank you!  That would make sense then.  I was like, hmm, never seen a 90 Cutlass sedan with HUD, that's interesting!

Edited by jiggity76
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, ManicMechanic said:

Neither the Cutlass, nor the GP sedans could have HUD in 1990.

Oh yeah, can't forget the GP sedan!  Do you know why?  The sedans share the same dash as the coupes so I wonder why they didn't include the sedans.  Maybe they hadn't worked out the details on the different shape of the windshields between the coupes and sedans yet?

Surprised the STE's didn't at least get the option in 1990.

Edited by jiggity76

Just now, jiggity76 said:

Oh yeah, can't forget the GP sedan!  Do you know why?  The sedans share the same dash as the coupes so I wonder why they didn't include the sedans.  Maybe they hadn't worked out the details on the different shape of the windshields between the coupes and sedans yet?

As good as guess as any!

9 hours ago, ManicMechanic said:

2mpn0qp.jpg

That's pretty crazy awesome cool right there!  If that's a factory set up, that HAS TO BE A UNICORN!!!  Base digital cluster with column shift but HUD, WOW!!!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jiggity76 said:

That's pretty crazy awesome cool right there!  If that's a factory set up, that HAS TO BE A UNICORN!!!  Base digital cluster with column shift but HUD, WOW!!!

I don't think it's original, The car was somewhere in Europe.

13 minutes ago, ManicMechanic said:

I don't think it's original, The car was somewhere in Europe.

Oh, ok.  Didn't you say that you seen a HUD car with the base digital cluster or something?  I thought maybe this was it...or is it?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, jiggity76 said:

Oh, ok.  Didn't you say that you seen a HUD car with the base digital cluster or something?  I thought maybe this was it...or is it?

This is it. I have also come across a 1993 S sedan with HUD, 3.1 and hubcaps, it was factory too.

14 minutes ago, ManicMechanic said:

This is it. I have also come across a 1993 S sedan with HUD, 3.1 and hubcaps, it was factory too.

Wow!  There was actually a nice Garnet Red 94 CS sedan about an hour from me probably 3-4 years ago, it was a 3.1 car but had HUD.

Did they hubcaps look like this?

Image result for 1993 oldsmobile cutlass supreme pics

I actually like the look of them.

1 hour ago, jiggity76 said:

Wow!  There was actually a nice Garnet Red 94 CS sedan about an hour from me probably 3-4 years ago, it was a 3.1 car but had HUD.

Did they hubcaps look like this?

Image result for 1993 oldsmobile cutlass supreme pics

I actually like the look of them.

That's them.

• 3 years later...

I do not know about the 1990, I bought a 1991 Cutlass Supreme SL and the HUD was an option I did not get.

New York Dealershiip: Merry Oldsmobile. 

Edited by JACKOLEEN