2001 Pontiac Grand Prix SE keyless entry module location?

yekratsb

Our family is a proud new owner of a 2001 Grand Prix SE with under 100k for our "soon to be" 16 year old.  My extent of experience with W body GM's are from a 1997 Olds Cutlass Supreme and a 99 Lumina.  When we purchased from a local small used car dealer, the vehicle didn't come with key fobs.  Anticipating that they were possibly misplaced, we are now in the pursuit to determine if there is an existing RKE/RCDLR module prior to attempting to program key fobs.  Countless searches in this forum and on the interwebs, I have really only found this resource which indicates the possible location of the module...

https://www.2carpros.com/questions/2001-pontiac-grand-prix-keyless-entry-location.  <-- Is this where it *should be, and what's the best way to check?

We even did the due diligence with the RPO codes and we are not finding AU0 on the trunk sticker.

IMG_3483.JPG

Hey there, and welcome. 

If there is no AU0 on the RPO sticker, there is probably no factory keyless entry. On the second gen cars, the RKE box is normally located to the right of the instrument cluster (GP) or behind it (Regal). The car is probably prewired for it, so you may see a loose harness back there. I'd guess you could probably just go find an 01-03 GP (2001 changed the keyless entry fobs) with RKE and install the module if you're prewired. 

Welp next step is pulling the trim plate and the info module. If I see a pigtail there, then exploring a module add on. Would I need a dealer to flash the system or is that something I can do post install?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is probably because both of my grand prixs were highly optioned, but I'm surprised that not all Grand Prixs had a keyless entry by '01, I always thought the only Ws you could get in that low of a trim were the Luminas.

I don't recall seeing a Keyless Entry flag the last time I was setting body features with the Tech II. I'd wager to bet it would "just work" once the fobs are programmed.

@Amanita there were extremely base Grand Prixs. They axed the option later on, but you could absolutely get column-shifted 2G GPs. Later in the Regals life, even ABS became optional. I imagine the GP probably followed that same suit where previously standard features became optional.