SWRC's.

jiggity76

Does anyone know if there is a definite reason to why my controls on my 93 STE are different compared to other ones?  I know it probably depends if you have factory CD or cassette radio but I've seen another factory CD car that isn't consistent to mine.  I have the RPO code U1A for factory CD player and this is what my panel looks like.

20190706_185613[1].jpg

20190627_115523[1].jpg

3 minutes ago, ManicMechanic said:

Likely an original cassette car and had a CD player installed at some point.

Ok, that makes me feel better, thank you!

Update:  Some guys on FB think that the On/Off button became available in 92-93 no matter what radio was ordered.  Since mine is a 93 car, that would make sense.

Edited by jiggity76

3 hours ago, jiggity76 said:

Update:  Some guys on FB think that the On/Off button became available in 92-93 no matter what radio was ordered.  Since mine is a 93 car, that would make sense.

Based on what I have seen:

I think this is correct.  All of the 89/90's didn't have an on/off button regardless if they got the CD or cassette.  The on/off button SWRC's went with the radio which has knobs for volume and tuning, not buttons, found in 92-93.  I don't know about 91.

1 hour ago, no1kicker said:

Based on what I have seen:

I think this is correct.  All of the 89/90's didn't have an on/off button regardless if they got the CD or cassette.  The on/off button SWRC's went with the radio which has knobs for volume and tuning, not buttons, found in 92-93.  I don't know about 91.

Guys on FB also don't know about the 91 model year.  There is a guy on there who has two 92 GP coupes.  Both are factory cassette radio cars and have the On/Off button like my STE so it seems to be fitting this logic. 

That's a good point about the knobs for the volume/tuning.  I might have a older pre 92-93 CD radio unit then and therefor the controls might not work.  Thank you for bringing this to light.

Edited by jiggity76

• 2 weeks later...

The panel from the 1990 model looks different because it mates with the Delco-Loc cassette players with the  graphic equalizer of the same year. The "MUTE" button will unlock the radio if necessary. The 1992-93 panels are different in appearance simply due to revision of the part, and their "MUTE" button will not unlock the Delco-Loc cassette player.  All of the CD players of the era were Delco-Loc II (user-entered code).

On ‎7‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 12:55 PM, 1992GrandPrixSE said:

The panel from the 1990 model looks different because it mates with the Delco-Loc cassette players with the  graphic equalizer of the same year. The "MUTE" button will unlock the radio if necessary. The 1992-93 panels are different in appearance simply due to revision of the part, and their "MUTE" button will not unlock the Delco-Loc cassette player.  All of the CD players of the era were Delco-Loc II (user-entered code).

Ok, great.  Thank you for the explanation.