Shift Kit Question

Buick_Guy

Hey guys and girls, new to the W-body community and this forum.  

I have a 04 Buick Regal LS with the 3.8 and I believe a 4T65E trans ( if I'm not mistaken). I've been doing some reading and from what I've read a shift kit will help with the life of the transmission.  

My questions are what shift kit do I need?  

And is the 4T65E the transmission I have? Or how do I figure out what transmission I have? 

There is quite a few on rockauto and also one from ZZP. 

Thanks for any info,  greatly appreciated. 

From what I’ve heard don’t get the zzp kit because it’s plastic. I got the transgo kit and used the 1 to 2, and 3 to 4 spacers (the 2-3 requires trans disassembly). It definitely helped firm up my 1 to 2 shift, which was very noticeable because my commute was mostly freeway, and the on-ramp was super short, so before I put the kit in there was an almost 2 second hesitation between shifting to second. After I put it in it was pretty quick and crisp. I’ve had it in for probably over 20,000 miles with no issues, and it still shifts great. The car is at 235,000 miles, so that should tell you a little bit.

I'm pretty sure Schurkey is a Transmission Rebuilder... So you probably can take what he says to the bank... On 60 degree V6 one of the main posters said something like "Some people would call this guy an Asshole BUT he isn't often wrong"... Schurkey LOVED that and used the quote as his "Sig"... I forget who it was that said it... Maybe Super Dave??? Or maybe even RobertISarr??? He clued me in when I blew up my 4T60E... I forget who said it,,, BUT I do pretty much remember that quote!!!

He is also one of the few who still lurks around the 60 degree V6 site!!!

Tom B...

I like his sig on this site too!!!

Edited by walterdude

3 hours ago, walterdude said:

I'm pretty sure Schurkey is a Transmission Rebuilder... So you probably can take what he says to the bank... On 60 degree V6 one of the main posters said something like "Some people would call this guy an Asshole BUT he isn't often wrong"... Schurkey LOVED that and used the quote as his "Sig"... I forget who it was that said it... Maybe Super Dave??? Or maybe even RobertISarr??? He clued me in when I blew up my 4T60E... I forget who said it,,, BUT I do pretty much remember that quote!!!

He is also one of the few who still lurks around the 60 degree V6 site!!!

Tom B...

I like his sig on this site too!!!

Awwwwwwww...shucks.

I think you give me too much credit.

Well, OK, I am an asshole.

12 hours ago, Schurkey said:

Awwwwwwww...shucks.

I think you give me too much credit.

Well, OK, I am an asshole.

Not in my experience!!!! Well Maybe To SOME People !!!

Tom B...

I have gotten some good advice from you!!!

Shurkey is tolerable and self-aware, so I don't mind, haha. The guy to give him chase is over on the SS forums, username "CB750". 

Thirded for the Transgo kits, though they have some turds here and there. For example, their Stage 2/3 kits for the 4L80 used a multi-layer separator plate, which frankly sucks. It's prone to cross leaks and is a bandaid.

Edited by carkhz316

1 hour ago, carkhz316 said:

Shurkey is tolerable and self-aware, so I don't mind, haha. The guy to give him chase is over on the SS forums, username "CB750". 

Thirded for the Transgo kits, though they have some turds here and there. For example, their Stage 2/3 kits for the 4L80 used a multi-layer separator plate, which frankly sucks. It's prone to cross leaks and is a bandaid.

That's the truth.  People over on the SS forum hate CB750, but much of it is because they don't like the truth.  He could certainly package it a little better and quit nitpicking when he knows someone is saying the correct info, but maybe used a term incorrectly.