STE radio bezel.

jiggity76

Been a while since I have been in the dash of one but as I recall, it's similar to my van. There's a small screw or two behind the glovebox door and another behind the trim that goes under the steering column.

56 minutes ago, ManicMechanic said:

Been a while since I have been in the dash of one but as I recall, it's similar to my van. There's a small screw or two behind the glovebox door and another behind the trim that goes under the steering column.

Thank you my friend.  I will check it out.  I didn't know if they are held on by clips or what.  Doesn't look like I can get under the left part of it under the AC/heater controls but I'm going to look under the right side to see if they're are screws hidden there too.  Never thought to look under the column or glove box so I'm glad I asked.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if you'e one ahead and done this, but it's very easy. Remove the driver's side kneeboard, two 7mm bolts hold the radio bezel up against the dashboard. Look up from the bottom and you'll see them. Open the glovebox door and swing it down (wiggle the glovebox door support arms and it will come loose) and there are two 7mms up there too. I don't remember it being clipped in at all.

9 hours ago, digitaloutsider said:

I don't know if you'e one ahead and done this, but it's very easy. Remove the driver's side kneeboard, two 7mm bolts hold the radio bezel up against the dashboard. Look up from the bottom and you'll see them. Open the glovebox door and swing it down (wiggle the glovebox door support arms and it will come loose) and there are two 7mms up there too. I don't remember it being clipped in at all.

Thanks Digital!  Yup, exactly how you described.  Here it is!

20190627_112105[1].jpg

20190627_112331[1].jpg

20190627_115523[1].jpg

• Like 1

Not meaning to HiJack your thread, just a question. Are those CD players valuable or something? I just was cleaning out my garage, and found a bin with 4 of them in it. Wondering if I should junk them or?

1 hour ago, pontiac6ksteawd said:

Not meaning to HiJack your thread, just a question. Are those CD players valuable or something? I just was cleaning out my garage, and found a bin with 4 of them in it. Wondering if I should junk them or?

Oh sweet Lord now, please don't junk them!  Can you post some pics of them!  I would be interested in buying them, seriously.

Sell them to Jiggity! He'll appreciate them. 

if not, sell them to me. I would do $20 each plus shipping assuming they are all similar vintage to that one. I clean and tinker with them to get them working and resell. it's a low success rate though (under 20% thanks to the CD player)

They are all identical vintage to the one above.

Well, I will have to get a for sale thread in the making this weekend. The bin had a bunch of odds and ends. Stock TGP air intake (complete), Washer fluid tank. TGP steering wheel controls, and more.. I even still have some parts from my old AWD STE.

I do remember that one of them worked flawlessly. I pulled it from my TGP when I sold it. The buyer just wanted the stock tape deck.

Edited by pontiac6ksteawd

Does the VFD (clock) dim properly on that model when you dim the interior lights?  I'm just curious because I know GM used pulse width modulation to dim the VFDs in the W-bodies.  If you put a radio in with a rheostat dimming circuit for the clock display, it will blink at varying rates depending on the intensity of the interior dimming.  That radio looks like it came from a Firebird or maybe a Bonneville, that's why I ask.

1 hour ago, 1992GrandPrixSE said:

Does the VFD (clock) dim properly on that model when you dim the interior lights?  I'm just curious because I know GM used pulse width modulation to dim the VFDs in the W-bodies.  If you put a radio in with a rheostat dimming circuit for the clock display, it will blink at varying rates depending on the intensity of the interior dimming.  That radio looks like it came from a Firebird or maybe a Bonneville, that's why I ask.

They came in the High End optioned Pontiac 6000 STE AWD/SE AWD, 1990 Pontiac Turbo Grand Prixs, Pontiac Bonneville SSE/SSEi, and the Pontiac GTA (I think 90 and 91). Internally, to me, they are built just like the tape deck, but with a CD drive Mechanism. I rebuilt one a few years ago from the face plate and CD drive of this style radio, and the case and internals from a 5 band tape deck.

The CD drive is not the failure point, in my experience, its a real small sensor that reads whether a CD has been inserted into the mechanism. It sits right at the mouth, and is a real pain to change.

Very cool, yes, please let me know how much you want for them.  I'm still interested!  My 93 Grand Prix brochure is showing this exact radio in one of their GP's, my STE is also a 93.  I also have a lead on this car, a 91-93 SE GP coupe with moonroof, HUD, and the same CD player.  My bud Kody and I are going junkyarding together soon and I really need these parts.

54099050_2252166458195339_7165972304231399424_n[1].jpg

54728201_2252166528195332_1093731168731267072_n[1].jpg

2 minutes ago, jiggity76 said:

Very cool, yes, please let me know how much you want for them.  I'm still interested!  My 93 Grand Prix brochure is showing this exact radio in one of their GP's, my STE is also a 93.  I also have a lead on this car, a 91-93 SE GP coupe with moonroof, HUD, and the same CD player.  My bud Kody and I are going junkyarding together soon and I really need these parts.

54099050_2252166458195339_7165972304231399424_n[1].jpg

54728201_2252166528195332_1093731168731267072_n[1].jpg

Shame the sunroof was left open, looks pretty bad.

3 hours ago, 1992GrandPrixSE said:

I'll find out if mine dims or not.  When I get a chance, I'm going to throw a battery in mine and see if the HUD still works and the radio I just put in.

20190627_115523[1].jpg

20190702_160747[2].jpg

20190622_074007[1].jpg

5 minutes ago, ManicMechanic said:

Shame the sunroof was left open, looks pretty bad.

Yeah, both this car and this LQ1 HUD equipped CS coupe really don't deserve this but nothing we can do now.  Just want to salvage the parts I can from them.  I also need the injector wiring harness from them.  I have a whole list of stuff I'm going to try to get.  Looks like someone just pulled the moonroof glass completely out of the GP's track, not busted, but not even in the car anymore.

Jay, you need any stuff besides the normal/not normal Aztek stuff?

55547105_2252166731528645_1905896311740170240_n[2].jpg

1 minute ago, jiggity76 said:

Yeah, both this car and this LQ1 HUD equipped CS coupe really don't deserve this but nothing we can do now.  Just want to salvage the parts I can from them.  I also need the injector wiring harness from them.  I have a whole list of stuff I'm going to try to get.  Looks like someone just pulled the moonroof glass completely out of the GP's track, not busted, but not even in the car anymore.

Jay, you need any stuff besides the normal/not normal Aztek stuff?

Not sure, I'm going to the junkyard tomorrow, they just got in a 2003. The just crushed both LQ1 cars they had. :(

1 minute ago, ManicMechanic said:

Not sure, I'm going to the junkyard tomorrow, they just got in a 2003. The just crushed both LQ1 cars they had. :(

I got your list just in case an Aztek might be there.  If anything, extra parts are always nice to have.

• Like 1

One thing I am looking for if i can find one intact is a sunroof wind deflector. But that involves removing the sunroof glass so I will get that if I can find one.

2 hours ago, ManicMechanic said:

One thing I am looking for if i can find one intact is a sunroof wind deflector. But that involves removing the sunroof glass so I will get that if I can find one.

Ok.  Yeah, I've never messed with ANY sunroof yet.  I look in your area just in case you miss one (highly unlikely, LOL) or somewhere close to you so you don't miss out on any parts. 

• 1 month later...
On 7/9/2019 at 11:23 AM, pontiac6ksteawd said:

They are all identical vintage to the one above.

Well, I will have to get a for sale thread in the making this weekend. The bin had a bunch of odds and ends. Stock TGP air intake (complete), Washer fluid tank. TGP steering wheel controls, and more.. I even still have some parts from my old AWD STE.

I do remember that one of them worked flawlessly. I pulled it from my TGP when I sold it. The buyer just wanted the stock tape deck.

Have not forgotten. Had some uninvited house guests, and they got evicted today. Wont be this weekend, as I am heading out of town, hopefully next weekend I will get that for sale thread up.