UB3 Digital Cluster Swap into '93 Cutlass Sedan

GunmetalCutlass1986

Hello all, 

I recently acquired a 1993 Cutlass Supreme Sedan in very good condition, and am looking to doll it up a little.  During a trip to a local junkyard, I came across a 1988 Cutlass Supreme with a UB3 digital cluster in it.  Since the cluster will fit in my dash nicely, and the 1980's digital dashes looked cool, I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction to find a guide on how to wire the cluster to my car.  The plug for the cluster is very similar apart from the plastic clip is on the opposite side and the plastic guides are different.  

I found an old Youtube video that shown it can be done, but it did not have any instructions.  I am hoping someone may be able to guide me instead of me trying to trial-and-error my way through it.  I do have to plug from the junkyard car if it is needed.  

Any help is greatly appreciated!

There are two different digital clusters they used and one really isnt worth it to install. Theres an ancient thread around here that discusses how to make an adapter harness with all the pinout info and I sort of made a diagram for my particular 1994 3100 CS to use that I can dig out and post a pic of that might help you out. If you didnt clip the harness out of the car with a legnth of wire you better get back there and get it. You will also need to break open an analog cluster to get the plastic connector as well if you want to build a harness without repinning your cars wiring harness.

Heres Nate`s thread and its probably the best source of info for that swap.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

That harness was working perfectly 7 years later. Still probably going strong today. Lots of great info in that thread.

Edited by 94 olds vert
I'm not filling this out

• 2 months later...
On 6/26/2019 at 7:33 PM, rich_e777 said:

There are two different digital clusters they used and one really isnt worth it to install. Theres an ancient thread around here that discusses how to make an adapter harness with all the pinout info and I sort of made a diagram for my particular 1994 3100 CS to use that I can dig out and post a pic of that might help you out. If you didnt clip the harness out of the car with a legnth of wire you better get back there and get it. You will also need to break open an analog cluster to get the plastic connector as well if you want to build a harness without repinning your cars wiring harness.

Heres Nate`s thread and its probably the best source of info for that swap.

Do you still possess said diagram?

I dont but I do have the cheat sheet I wrote out to create the diagram with all the UB3 info on it, you will have to match your year pinout to the UB3. But I can snap a pic from the FSM for my 1994 as they are probably the same.

ZHEswvS.jpg

This one may be confusing but on the side of the electrical connector it will have a "C" and "D" and 1-16 reads from left to right. Once you have all the connectors/wires and lay the back to back its much less confusing and you`ll see how only a few wires change places.

fXLHLMj.jpg

Edited by rich_e777

IIRC I marked the two wires to remind me of additional things to do after the adapter was in. D-11 is the oil pressure wire and needs an older P/N switch to work with the UB3. C-13 is the other starred line and needs to tap into an existing wire on the OBD 1 harness.