Windshield Wipers

bluecalais79

Just got back from putting about 1000 miles on my 1996 Cutlass, my only issue was my purchase of buying cheap RainX windshield wipers came back to haunt me. The passengers side blade just wouldn't stay put and kept popping off. In a pinch I used what I had, a 22 inch Michelin wiper, and although the manual calls for 20 inch on both sides, this 22 inch works so well I'm leaving it on. It j-u-s-t fits in the wiper well in the cowl (a drivers side 22" won't fit there) and I get the benefit of 1 inch more wipe on each side of the blade.

So for now it's 20" drivers, 22" passengers side.

A tip that might help in the future: The little wiper adapter or locks can often be removed from old wipers and installed on the new IF the new wiper doesn't have a proper one so that it actually locks in place.  Keep an eye on those Michelin blades to check for separation. I had a set start separating on the ends that was less than one year old recently. Prior to that, I never had an issue with them, so hopefully they were just a bad batch. I make a habit of inspecting the blades every time I wash a car and also wash them off at that time. If you check them out regularly, you'll catch any separation issues before they cause scratches on your windshield.

AZ brand AeroBlades snap right on the old peg locking system the CSs have just fine and if you keep the wipers clean with the rest of the windshield they will last at least a year. Dont get brave and try and put a larger blade on the other side. If they ever get tangled up its going to bend things that can only be found in the junkyard, and the wiper transmission system up under that cowling is most likely exclusive to just the W body Cutlass Supreme. But at least the 4 door model will fit the 2 door model!

RainX blades either seem cheap Walmart crap or way overpriced AutoZone crap in either case they are a gimmick, just get the RainX glass cleaner in the yellow spray bottle and do the whole car after a good wash.

I don't know what brand they are but I always go to the GM dealer and buy them.  Work great, no chattering, streaking or any noise and really smooth operation.  I don't like the look and performance of the aftermarket blades.  Some of them are really bulky and stick out too far for my taste.

On ‎06‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 9:03 PM, rich_e777 said:

AZ brand AeroBlades snap right on the old peg locking system the CSs have just fine and if you keep the wipers clean with the rest of the windshield they will last at least a year. Dont get brave and try and put a larger blade on the other side. If they ever get tangled up its going to bend things that can only be found in the junkyard, and the wiper transmission system up under that cowling is most likely exclusive to just the W body Cutlass Supreme. But at least the 4 door model will fit the 2 door model!

RainX blades either seem cheap Walmart crap or way overpriced AutoZone crap in either case they are a gimmick, just get the RainX glass cleaner in the yellow spray bottle and do the whole car after a good wash.

You are spot on for the 22 on the other side, it won't work. I kept a very watchful eye on the sweep and the 22'' on the passengers side won't come into contact with the drivers side but that's the extent of it. Beside, now that I'm back home I'll work on grabbing a set per Rich_e777's note. No sense in tempting fate with the current oddball sizes on the car now.