2006 grand prix gt cooling fans

Trevor_L

Help they quit working.... They come on with the ac but not when it actually when it gets hot. I've unplugged the coolant temp sensor they will kick on then. Any ideas out there? 

Well I havent bought  new a scanner, dont really have the money to do so yet. Right now im a broke ass native... Kids are expensive. Lol anyhow i took my digital meat thermometer and poked around. I had found i got pretty regular temp reading when piking diffrent parts of the block. 

Well i let her warm up for around 20 minutes or so. I shut it off and found temps reading 160ish, again frim a few diffrent spots. So I figured I would just put my thermometer on top of the thermostat housing. Kind of just setting on the top so i would touch nothing else.

Well I let it warm up and watched my thermometer go up to 215 and shut it off.

So I thought maybe on of my 3 relays must actually be bad. So I pulled them all and tested them. All clicked and passed with continuity. So I put them back in place. 

I restarted after a full cool down. Made sure fluids were all good. I started it back up and stood there drinking my morning coffee and chain smoking watching the temps rise. It held at 180 for what seemed forever. I looked at the dash gauge and it was cresting the second notch. And i thought here we go time to see if the fans kick on soon. Well I smoked another and drank somemore. And watched the digital thermometer again. It came up to I think 212 and the low speed fan kicked on by itself. Sat there some more and it bever climed past 212. I think i must have watched that little screen for 90 minutes.

So now maybe they are running. A bad connection at the relay? The fuse? I dont know I just know it kicked on when it wouldnt before.

1 hour ago, Trevor_L said:

I havent bought  new a scanner, dont really have the money to do so yet. Right now im a broke ass native... Kids are expensive...  ...I started it back up and stood there drinking my morning coffee and chain smoking...  ...Well I smoked another

Got money for kids and smokes, but you're "broke ass native"???

Quit smoking, buy a scan tool.  Your life will be better.

5 minutes ago, Schurkey said:

Got money for kids and smokes, but you're "broke ass native"???

Quit smoking, buy a scan tool.  Your life will be better.

Thanks for the idea but...... You do you and I'll do me. I really dont need your ideas how I should live my life.

But yeah i do need a new scantool. But it will come in due time.