Little bit of play in the steering wheel

GrandPrixMaster

Ever since I’ve had my car, I’ve noticed that there’s a diminutive amount of play in the center of the steering wheel’s travel, maybe a 1/4” or less of movement. The car steers smoothly and tightly, but I’ve always wondered about that little bit of play. It sometimes makes it feel a little weird when going straight, as the wheel ends up very slightly cocked to the side.

Is it possible that it’s the steering gear getting a little worn after 150k miles? (I suppose it could be.) I’ve also thought about the possibility that the rack bushings have grown worn. What do you guys think? It’s also worth noting that I recently replaced both tie rod ends on the passenger side. The driver’s side still felt pretty tight (no play at all), so I decided to hold off on that. I almost wonder if a worn inner tie rod end on the driver’s side has something to do with it.

Has it been professionally aligned since the new parts ? Are your tires properly inflated ? All roads are pitched for drainage, so having a laser straight steering wheel is an unrealistic expectation ...imho.

I doubt it would be a steering gear after only 150k.  Racks can essentially last forever.  On my car that was doing the same thing it turned out to be the rag joint between the column and rack that needed to be replaced.

Assuming no other mechanical issues elsewhere.......(with engine off to do the test at each position, wheels on the ground) if the situation occurs regardless of the position of the wheels then it's possible that the preload on the sector shaft is off, if the issue only occurs when the steering is on center then it's quite possible that the sector shaft teeth have worn at that point.

Edited by 55trucker

13 hours ago, 55trucker said:

Assuming no other mechanical issues elsewhere.......(with engine off to do the test at each position, wheels on the ground) if the situation occurs regardless of the position of the wheels then it's possible that the preload on the sector shaft is off, if the issue only occurs when the steering is on center then it's quite possible that the sector shaft teeth have worn at that point.

Doh! Steering gear preload never even occurred to me! :wacko:

I'll have to check that out. The play exists regardless of the wheel's position.