'96 Grand Prix Project - new member

quakerj

Hi folks, I joined this forum at the suggestion of a guy on another forum regarding a '96 Grand Prix SE (150k miles) that I'm trying to fix up.

I bought this car for peanuts knowing it had a bad head gasket (or worse.)  With a cold engine and radiator cap removed, coolant shoots out of the radiator whenever the starter is engaged or engine running.  There's evidence of coolant boilover out of the coolant expansion tank, plus coolant in two or more cylinders (wet plugs).  Also have coolant in oil (not a huge amount, but enough to tell it's there). Idiot previous owner wired up the radiator fan to run all the time instead of fixing what was probably a simple intake gasket, and proceeded to overheat the piss out of it.  I'm pretty confident it's head gasket and not just the intake gasket.  Oddly a compression test gives me 170 PSI on all cylinders.  Pretty major power steering leak and a small section of rotting brake line that needs replaced round out the list of problems with this car.  Shouldn't be all that difficult to make a good runner out of this, I've done head gaskets and fairly major repairs on other vehicles.

I will probably make another post inquiring about options for repair-- I'd really like to consider an engine swap.  This is purely a project car, can take my time and do it right.  But for now, just wanted to introduce myself and add a couple pics of the car.  Have always loved this body style GP, didn't give it a second thought when I saw this for sale, I had to have it!

20180421-175828.jpg

20180421-175859.jpg

20180421-175957.jpg

• Like 5

• 4 months later...