WHAT IS THE BEST HIGH QAULITY OIL PUMP THAT WON'T LEAVE YOU HAVING PROBLEMS IN THE FUTURE?

89-W-Body-Regal

I need a professional opinion and I thought what better to ask the w body community since I own one too. I have an 2.8 Buick Regal engine. I am looking for a good oil pump that will last me a long time like the original 30 year old one did. What pumps are good out there? I was about to contact GM but I don't know if they would be able to tell me since all the older guys are properly retired now. I would appreciate your help. I don't want to buy a part that won't last me long. I was lucky for this part to last 30 years because they don't make good quality parts like this anymore, espsecially when you are dealing with a internal component like this.

Edited by 89-W-Body-Regal

Your oil pump failed? I'm not sure I've ever even heard of an oil pump failure on a 2.8/3.1. Anyway, you should still be able to get Melling pumps made in the USA.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 years ago Sealed Power (Federal Mogul) & TRW were two of the largest names in engines parts supplied to the OEM, but not so today.

Here is the high volume Sealed Power pump for the 3.1 LHO engine.

The pickup tube dia is 3/4", I'm betting that your 2.8 is 5/8", you would need to purchase the larger dia inlet tube for this pump.

https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/slp-224-4152v/overview/

On 5/8/2019 at 4:05 PM, 55trucker said:

30 years ago Sealed Power (Federal Mogul) & TRW were two of the largest names in engines parts supplied to the OEM,

The last time I bought a Sealed Power oil pump, the item inside the box was made by Melling.  This was for a BBC.

Melling sells a heaping pile of oil pumps.  They seem to be made in USA--at least the ones I've bought.

As said...what's wrong with the existing pump?