A/C Condenser Problem

stuhrling

My 02 Olds Intrigue a/c condenser sprang a leak today. All the refrigerant has now escaped. I need to replace the condenser. Does someone have any instructions on how to do this job for this car? Anything else I should know or need to replace while performing this job?

Many, Many, Thanks for any help with this!

Autozone has free access to general service info on most w's. I'd start there. I don't think there's anything crazy about it besides take radiator off, take condenser off, reassemble. Make sure you vacuum the system before refill time.

Any time you open an A/C you should replace the accumulator/drier. Add more refrigerant oil, and make sure it holds a vacuum before recharging. Loads of vids on YouTube........helped me get thru my first ever condenser swap on our 05 GP.

Edited by cheatah faheatah
add info

2 hours ago, cheatah faheatah said:

Any time you open an A/C you should replace the accumulator/drier. Add more refrigerant oil, and make sure it holds a vacuum before recharging. Loads of vids on YouTube

Exactly! :)
Replace the drier, add AC oil, vacuum, charge.

You should use a proper AC Diagnostic Manifold Freon Gauge/Hose Set.  They are ~~$30.
Harbor Freight also often has them on sale.

https://www.amazon.com/OrionMotorTech-Diagnostic-Manifold-Refrigerants-Couplers/dp/B01MZ6OQPE/
OrionMotorTech 3FT AC Diagnostic Manifold Freon Gauge Set for R134A R12, R22, R502 Refrigerants, with Couplers and Acme Adapter
4.0 out of 5 stars 122 customer reviews
Price:   $27.99
81j9ey5QrFL._SL1500_.jpg

Good Luck!

Edited by Cutlass350

Picking up a set of manifold gauges is relatively simple, but a vacuum pump is an absolute, whether it be an electric motor driven item or an air compressor driven vacuum pump, without the vacuum pump you're dead in the water.

Not to sound like an ad here. I don't buy much from there but their loan a tool program is on point. Autozone will loan you all this for free. Everything mentioned here.

Edited by vipmiller803

I'd recommend replacing these items if doing the condenser.....

New:

Receiver/drier/accumulator

Orfice Tube

Flush system

New O ring seals

You can rent the vaccum pump and gauge set from Autozone. Youll need these to pull a proper vaccum. This is a must itherwise you'll destroy the compressor. Pull a good vaccum and check for leaks. Then recharge by weight into the system. Boom. Enjoy your new cold AC!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk