WOT Compressor shutoff - disable?

crazyd

So I've decided I HATE the "feature" that shuts off the compressor when you mash the gas on my '92.  It may only shut it off for a few seconds, but you get about a minute worth of warm, humid, strange-smelling air blasted in your face while it recovers, and it takes far less than full WOT to activate it.  It's also blowing my compressor fuse now too.  Is there any way to disable this?  I assume it's in the ECM code somewhere.

Edited by crazyd

The OBD-II calibrations have a table to control this, I assume the old ones do too. However, I'd like to think there's a compelling reason why every calibration I've seen from every car manufacturer disables the compressor at WOT.

It should NOT be blowing your compressor fuse. You have something else wrong there. The air also shouldn't smell musty or weird, you probably have some buildup on the evaporator core. 

17 hours ago, digitaloutsider said:

The OBD-II calibrations have a table to control this, I assume the old ones do too. However, I'd like to think there's a compelling reason why every calibration I've seen from every car manufacturer disables the compressor at WOT.

It should NOT be blowing your compressor fuse. You have something else wrong there. The air also shouldn't smell musty or weird, you probably have some buildup on the evaporator core. 

Engine performance is what's always cited. More power available with it off. With as high of hp stuff they produce today, I would imagine the difference would be negligible , especially in a non-racing situation, so compressor longevity might be another consideration.

If you're blowing fuses because the compressor is engaging(or re-engaging), I would assume you have a clutch issue and it's drawing too much current.

Yeah, the fuse blowing is annoying but not serious.  The evap core is clean, it's just when the comp shuts off that it smells a little musty, otherwise it's fine.    I'm not happy with my air temps right now anyway, I can't get a read on the high side pressure because the R-134A adapter doesn't have a pintle in it, so I'm just guessing at the charge and for some reason it's taking a bloody eternity to get down into the 40's - and 48 is as low as it'll go.  I was shooting for around 38.