UA-65274002-1 Jump to content
kcac

Could A Profit Be Made from This Car?

My brother-in-law asked me about a 1994 Cutlass Supreme convertible with 87,000 miles and an asking price of $1900. Since I have a 1995 Cutlass convertible, he asked me for my opinion about the price. What do you guys think? See the attachment. I told him about the potential issues: distributor plug oil leak, timing belt maintenance, under engine mounted alternator, melted dome light switches issues, dead rear window motors. He is considering the car because of its low asking price, and asked me about the potential of being able to use it then sell it for a profit. I don't know if there would be much money to be made from this car, even if he got it for $1500. What do you think?

This is not a "must have" for him. It caught his eye because he knows I have one of these cars. Also, did two-tone seats come from the factory? I have never seen that style seat before on these cars.

1994 olds cutlass supreme convertible.pdf

Edited by kcac

Although I hate that engine.. Thats a steal at that price. Those are seat covers, I would be curious to see what it looks like underneath. You can tell they are seat covers because they dont exactly look tight onto the seat body. I would say it was likely a graphite leather car. Its got HUD, and most of the options I would want (except the engine).

I have the 3.4 dohc in my convertible. It's no performance machine, but it moves OK. I wonder if the performance is noticeably different between a convertible with the 3.1 engine vs the 3.4 dohc.

I have the 3.4 dohc in my convertible. It's no performance machine, but it moves OK. I wonder if the performance is noticeably different between a convertible with the 3.1 engine vs the 3.4 dohc.

I’ve heard there is but the vert is a beast, I suppose not meant to be terribly fast, but mine was pretty tame. Having a lighter car it feels way better (when I had my 95 z34 Monte Carlo), and obviously a ton better with a manual (my gtp).

It looks like the seats were reupholstered using red and graphite and they just don't fit well.  I've never seen seat covers that use the same pattern for these particular seats.  Interesting choice of colors.  I don't hate it.

87k miles...if it still has the original timing belt the engine is on borrowed time.  Just calculate the cost of a new timing belt kit into what he wants to invest.  They aren't hard to change if you change them before they break.  The plug wires have been changed and the fuel rail cover is torqued down too much, so some work has probably been done.  Maybe the LIM gaskets.

The car looks clean.  As long as the bottom isn't rusty I'd say $1900 would be a fair price.  These verts are rising in price.  Slowly, but they are rising.  

On 4/12/2019 at 10:06 AM, Psych0matt said:

It says it has an electrical issue, that’d drive the price down for me, otherwise it’s a good deal $1500 car. I do t get why people hate the LQ1, but I digress

Seems like I'm on a constant LQ1 myth buster crusade on fb.  People who've never owned or maintained one acting like they're an authority.  The biggest myth being how difficult it is to change a timing belt followed closely by constant head gasket failures and massive oil leaks.  Then I get called a dick because I call them out for disseminating false information 🙄 

9 hours ago, MemphisMan said:

Seems like I'm on a constant LQ1 myth buster crusade on fb.  People who've never owned or maintained one acting like they're an authority.  The biggest myth being how difficult it is to change a timing belt followed closely by constant head gasket failures and massive oil leaks.  Then I get called a dick because I call them out for disseminating false information 🙄 

I've heard it all before too.  I've been told by a few people at work to just scrap my beloved W, I quickly put them in their place and they haven't bugged me since.  I've learned to let things go, people sometimes just want to knock you down and attack your hobbies/passions for whatever reasons.  That's the good and bad about saying what's on your mind I guess when it comes to FB.  I've grown a thick skin. 

Thank god for you and others being so passionate about these cars.  Without you and the other great people on here, those negative comments would have brought me down.

14 hours ago, jiggity76 said:

I've heard it all before too.  I've been told by a few people at work to just scrap my beloved W, I quickly put them in their place and they haven't bugged me since.  I've learned to let things go, people sometimes just want to knock you down and attack your hobbies/passions for whatever reasons.  That's the good and bad about saying what's on your mind I guess when it comes to FB.  I've grown a thick skin. 

Thank god for you and others being so passionate about these cars.  Without you and the other great people on here, those negative comments would have brought me down.

I do love fins, chrome and horse power just like everybody else, I have also put my foot down to other car collectors about my taste, but when I roll up in my car from 1990 among a sea of 69 Camaros and tri fives Chevys I stand out. We have the cars that were not suppose to survive but THEY DID! So make room, like it or not. I do understand that the majority of people grew up around the rear wheel drive big v8 cars but the FWD drive cars can pack a punch to. 

2 hours ago, K&R said:

I do love fins, chrome and horse power just like everybody else, I have also put my foot down to other car collectors about my taste, but when I roll up in my car from 1990 among a sea of 69 Camaros and tri fives Chevys I stand out. We have the cars that were not suppose to survive but THEY DID! So make room, like it or not. I do understand that the majority of people grew up around the rear wheel drive big v8 cars but the FWD drive cars can pack a punch to. 

Well said my friend!

My brother-in-law said Edmunds values the car at $1640. He is abandoning the idea of purchasing the car in order to sell it at a profit. I thought the value of these cars was around $3500, but I have not looked in a couple of years. I just checked Edmunds - my 1995 convertible with 80,000 miles is $1,651 for private party,  $2,615 dealer retail.   I did not buy mine to make money. If I did, I would be crying right now. I paid $7000 for it in 2007.  A search of Ebay for sold 1990 to 1995 Cutlass convertibles resulted in a single 1995 with 43000 miles. It sold for $4550 last month.

Edited by kcac