tilt steering issues

johnnie

good day... has anyone ever had to reset their key lock cylinder back to the off lock position by only removing the steering wheel and turn signal assembly and cam and the two pivot pins securing the metal cover that fits over the top of the column centered over the steering shaft...without removing the entire steering column?..I'm replacing the ignition switch on my 93 gp le with tilt steering and forgot to pin the switch from far left one detent to the right before installing the actuator rod and after the job was done I tested my work and inserted the key into the cylinder and turned it forward and now the key is stuck in the start position... so I'm trying to correct my mistake and having no luck..thanks!

IMG_20190402_143106.jpg

Just so I understand.... you replaced the lock cylinder? or the ignition switch?

But either way its stuck in the Start position now? You don't have to pull it down that far to remove it.

19 hours ago, White93z34 said:

Just so I understand.... you replaced the lock cylinder? or the ignition switch?

But either way its stuck in the Start position now? You don't have to pull it down that far to remove it.

the key lock cylinder is stuck in the on/start position and have a limited view and accessibility behind the bowl to do anything.. is it possible to reset the key lock cylinder manually from the top of the column without removing the entire steering column?

With it stuck in start, I can't say. I know there is a small torx screw hiding behind the key reminder sensor that holds it in. you don't have to fully break down the column.

If it were me I'd remove the whole column. you are only 3 bolts away as shown in your picture

It sounds as tho you've jammed the gear on the end of the lock cylinder. The gear has teeth that are on 1/2 the circumference. If you disconnect the rod that connects the cylinder to the ignition switch does the cylinder free up?

If that's not it then you will more than likely need to remove the set/retaining screw that holds the cylinder into the *bowl* (column) to free the cylinder.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/11/2019 at 2:34 PM, 55trucker said:

It sounds as tho you've jammed the gear on the end of the lock cylinder. The gear has teeth that are on 1/2 the circumference. If you disconnect the rod that connects the cylinder to the ignition switch does the cylinder free up?

If that's not it then you will more than likely need to remove the set/retaining screw that holds the cylinder into the *bowl* (column) to free the cylinder.

yea I already tried that and its still the same its jammed so I'll just have to remove the column to access behind the bowl and go from there cause there's no other way to get behind the the cylinder from the outside the bowl and there's no working room.