To Le Bra or not to Le Bra

bluecalais79

Over the winter I bought an NOS in the box genuine Le Bra for my white 1996 Cutlass (2 door). I got it at such a good price I couldn't pass it up. Anyone out there think it's a bad Idea to install one of these things? It says it wicks away any moisture which is a plus, but who knows. I'm in the Northeast so built up humidity is an issue.

I'm on the fence as to whether I'm going to install it. One plus is that out of all the paint on the car, the front bumper is the weakest and the Le Bra would hide that quite nicely. It would really freshen it up.

is the front end of your car mildly crashed? If no then a bra is unnecessary :lol: thats about the only legitimate purpose I see for one. 

One of those 90's things I never got then or now.

I put one on my '96 Cutlass 2 door for awhile as the lip on the hood was beat to hell.  I don't recommend it since it simply destroys the paint under it.  I ended up getting some paint correction done on the car which helped but I'll never use a "LeBra" again. 

All good advice, thanks. Maybe I'll put it one for say a long trip and then remove it once I get there. However, These things are a bit of a pain to install, just as well leave it in the box for the next swap meet & sell it.

• 4 weeks later...

I agree, don't use it for long periods, traps water/humidity and messes up the paint/clear! Happened to me personally on one of my first cars.

Edited by sean1991olds

A brand new one came with my vert.  Back in 2011 I installed it to take some pics, then put it back in the box.  I've often thought about using it in the warm months because all of the bugs seem to have a death wish around here and I hate using bug/tar remover on my paint.  But I do anyway.

photo 3.JPG

photo 7.JPG

photo 9.JPG

• 5 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Memphisman, the front of my '93 vert has a lot of stone chips and a repaint isn't in the cards right now (or anytime in the near future), would you consider selling your bra?

Lol to a bunch of guys on the internet complaining about bras.    Anyway . . . I had one on my 93 Z28 for a while in the late 90's, I had minor front end damage and didn't have the money to repair it.   I thought the black bra looked really good on the red Camaro, because the 93's had the full black top, nothing was red above the beltline (t-tops, window surrounds, side view mirrors, etc).   It was a very similar two-tone look like my red 95 Cutlass convertible is now.   Yes the bra was a pain to put on and take off for every car wash, and the separate hood piece eventually tore.   I think it would look great on Ric's red convertible, and I've often thought about putting one on my red convertible too but I just haven't wanted to spend the $100 on it.   I have minor front end damage, my hood clear coat is peeling, so the bra wouldn't make anything worse.   It would cover the neat Oldsmobile logo and the "ribs", but it's a 90's car so a 90's accessory should be ok.   People at car shows put period-correct accessories on their cars sometimes, and people like it.   Wouldn't it be kinda like a window-AC unit on a 50's car?    

Great reply oldmangrimes, thanks. I'm lucky and mine is actually a pretty nice original '93, but no where near what I would consider a show car. I love to drive it and love to show it off but that's about it. I just just figure that the functionality of the bra (in my case) out ways the trouble with it. And besides, I'm old so the old school look it kinda right for me.

On 5/8/2020 at 10:25 AM, Ric said:

Memphisman, the front of my '93 vert has a lot of stone chips and a repaint isn't in the cards right now (or anytime in the near future), would you consider selling your bra?

I'm going to hold on my bra, along with all of the accessories that came with my car. They're readily available on eBay though for around $100.