Another red 90 TGP

negativeMatt

I just picked this one up last weekend. I had it loaded and down the road when I stopped for fuel and then decided to look it over, lol. I was floored when I saw the mileage! The car had all the paperwork from its yearly inspections in the glovebox, confirming the mileage right up until 2008 when it was parked. I'm assuming it was the brakes that did it in. I originally purchased it for parts and the front valance and interior bits were what I was after, but now I believe she will be back on the road soon. Everything inside works like new, the switches feel crisp and positive as they should, all lights, sounds, gauges etc function. The car will fire and run for just a few seconds, so I've pulled the injectors and will drop the tank for a complete fuel system clean and put in a new pump and filter. I'll have my body shop guys pull and fix the quarter panel dent, buff her out as good as possible and see how well she looks. If it was a sunroof car, I would most likely keep it, but since it isn't, it'll be looking for a new home in a few months. Now, if I could only find a dang black car!!

received_336590680324796_zpsjgjropeg.jpeg

20190313_185023_zps566vcgmi.jpg

20190312_183409_zpstcje0n0v.jpg

20190312_183423_zpscxw5qxoh.jpg

20190313_185234_zpsbwbeeqoz.jpg

Low miles on that one. Like you, I would assume the brakes were the reason it was parked.  If you're brake swapping it, take a few pictures for us or at least type up a parts list. If you get a chance, please snap a picture of how you routed the ps lines on the car you've already swapped.

I love that fact that this car will be back on the road soon.  Honestly, one reason I've stayed away from the TGPs is my lack of knowledge around how to fix the brakes.  So the fix is a reliable one that lasts?

I'm with Tom, glad it's getting saved and another chance to be enjoyed!  Love that CD player, OMG!  I have seen a few black ones, they're gorgeous!  Seen a couple of black with grey cloth cars, my TGP coupe of choice.

poor thing looks like it has had a rough life. I hope somebody saves it but in that shape it doesn't seem likely.

Edited by Amanita

6 minutes ago, Amanita said:

poor thing looks like it has had a rough life. I hope somebody saves it but in that shape it doesn't seem likely.

It should be rust free being a Texas car so worth saving in my opinion.  The black is a must for me if I were to own one of these.  My ultimate TGP would be a grey cloth car.  I seen one, maybe two on CL and if I didn't have my W's already, I would have bought one of them.  Both were black cars with moonroof, CD, and as mentioned, grey cloth interior. 

1 minute ago, jiggity76 said:

It should be rust free being a Texas car so worth saving in my opinion.  The black is a must for me if I were to own one of these.  My ultimate TGP would be a grey cloth car.  I seen one, maybe two on CL and if I didn't have my W's already, I would have bought one of them.  Both were black cars with moonroof, CD, and as mentioned, grey cloth interior. 

Yeah if I were to get a turbo it would be a black one with grey cloth. CD and moonroof don't matter much to me.

4 minutes ago, Amanita said:

Yeah if I were to get a turbo it would be a black one with grey cloth. CD and moonroof don't matter much to me.

Black is killer on these cars.  Don't get me wrong as I REALLY LOVE my 91 International and 93 STE but I wish they were black or maroon instead of white.  White is part of the reason for their rarity but white really isn't my color choice.

7 minutes ago, jiggity76 said:

Black is killer on these cars.  Don't get me wrong as I REALLY LOVE my 91 International and 93 STE but I wish they were black or maroon instead of white.  White is part of the reason for their rarity but white really isn't my color choice. 

Oh trust me I know. The SE needs to be repainted some time in the future and I'll be fighting myself between keeping it black and painting it some other color I think would look good on it like Gunmetal, a really dark blue, or British Racing Green.

12 hours ago, MemphisMan said:

I love that fact that this car will be back on the road soon.  Honestly, one reason I've stayed away from the TGPs is my lack of knowledge around how to fix the brakes.  So the fix is a reliable one that lasts?

I've been driving my other TGP almost daily with no issues. The brakes are unreal with a very linear feel. The harder I press, the better they stop! (weird, right?!) I'll do the same procedure on this car, and possibly video it. I plan to make a full parts list as well. It's not a hard job, just takes a bit of welding on the hydroboost bracket from the astro van. Tallon mfg makes adj brake rods to fit, but I just cut and thread my original to make it adjustable. I have many pics of the last swap, just can't sit still long enough to type it all up!

9 hours ago, Amanita said:

Oh trust me I know. The SE needs to be repainted some time in the future and I'll be fighting myself between keeping it black and painting it some other color I think would look good on it like Gunmetal, a really dark blue, or British Racing Green.

If I cannot find a decent black car, I will eventually repaint my daily but it will be the Gunmetal grey color from the 91 GTA Firebird. I think that with gold mesh wheels and the tan interior would look great. I've modified mine so much, that originality is long gone on this one...and it's unfortunate, but these cars just aren't worth a whole heck of a lot!

I, too would like to see how the brake swap out is done. I did 4g f body booster and master on my red 90. my black 90 still has PMIII but I won't be keeping it. would like to see how other people are getting rid of that horrific system 

I, too would like to see how the brake swap out is done. I did 4g f body booster and master on my red 90. my black 90 still has PMIII but I won't be keeping it. would like to see how other people are getting rid of that horrific system 
I'll get to it eventually. I did get the fuel system all cleaned out and pump replaced on this car. Started right up and seems to run like new! The brakes seem to "work" somewhat, but I still don't trust them. I'm gonna grab a hydroboost setup today from the local u pull it.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk