1994 Cutlass convertible Courtesy lights wont shut off

95LQ1VERT

I've been having a problem recently with my courtesy lights staying on after the passenger door is opened. The lights will only go out it the door is pretty much slammed shut. I've tested the continuity of the door jamb switch and it seems to be fine. My question I guess is, what else would cause the interior lights to stay on if the switch is good? P.S. The dimmer switch is turned down low.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I pulled the carpet back on the passenger floor and found the harness for the door. I unplugged it and shut the door normally and the dome lights went out. So I took the door panel off and followed the wires all the way to the Lock Mechanism. I unplugged the last connector and shut it and the courtesy lights shut off with each soft close.

Is there a "Door ajar" switch built into the lock mechanism on these cars? And will it hurt if I leave that connection unplugged?

The courtesy lights come on if the door handle is moved. That switch in the handle must be shorted.

It won't hurt anything to leave it unplugged.

Your BCM should turn the courtesy lights off after like 15 minutes even if a switch is telling it to turn them on.

I will leave it unplugged if there is no ill effects. On a plus side, I took apart the convertible top switch last night and cleaned the contacts and put it back together. It works now!

• 3 weeks later...