Who can reprogram the odometer on the Delco cluster?

1987 GMC Jimmy

I’ve only found one place on the continent that can fix my dead cluster and reprogram the odometer to not say “error” after 200,000 miles which mine should be almost at. Does anyone know what I can do? Is this something that happens every time? This company apparently used to have a contingent in North Dakota, Mr. Whizard, but they’re now moving everything to Manitoba and no longer accepting U.S. orders as of this month. I’m in a real bind here so if anyone has any ideas, I’d appreciate them. Otherwise, I’ll have to send it to someone in Winnipeg that can take it there in person, but I’d rather not pay all that money if someone stateside can do it. Thanks! I care mostly about having my mileage right, or I’d investigate getting a later cluster that’s not digital.

60CE5B01-1DF0-4670-926E-A9BFC0BC0A0E.jpeg

I’ve just found out that a 1989-94 S-Blazer/Jimmy odometer chip is the key to fixing it without necessarily having to reprogram anything. If I had one of those, I’d be golden. 

Now someone else is telling me that the Blazer chip doesn’t work. I don’t even know...

Edited by 1987 GMC Jimmy

No, I haven’t. The thought hadn’t dawned on me, but I’ve had pretty rotten luck with dealerships being able to help me do anything with my old stuff except sell a few parts at a sky high markup. I’ll see if I can find anyone who can do anything. I’ll reply back if and when something gets done so y’all can know what to do or who to go to in the future. 

On 2/7/2019 at 11:21 PM, 1987 GMC Jimmy said:

not say “error” after 200,000 miles

News to me.  Sure they won't read more than 200K?

WHAT VEHICLE IS THIS???

Edited by Schurkey

On 2/9/2019 at 11:56 PM, Schurkey said:

News to me.  Sure they won't read more than 200K?

WHAT VEHICLE IS THIS???

No, this is just what I’ve been told, which sounds like a bunch of consensus no one agrees on. This is in a ‘90 Olds Cutlass with the Delco digital cluster. Is it possible that it may not display an error? I’ve also been told that replacing the entire board is necessary rather than just the chip, but I don’t know what to believe at this point...

• 1 month later...

I’ve got it working again, but the people I sent it to were pretty half ass. It’s got 186XXX miles on it so no error, but when you switch it to KM mode, it does show “Error.”

• 4 weeks later...

My digital cluster like the one you have started flashing on and off randomly.  I have a 92 Cutlass Supreme S 4 door. 

There is a shop on Ebay that repairs these clusters.  I just traded my old one in, and got one that had been rebuilt.  It was in the description that KM mode would be disabled. He does not reset the mileage.  The rebuilt one I got had about 91,000 miles on it.

Anyway, the rebuilt cluster has been working just fine for a couple years now.  His price has practically doubled since I bought mine, and last time I checked he had only one left for trade in.  The cluster that he does have left has a new lens installed.  I used my old lens on the rebuilt cluster I got.  A new lens for these clusters are expensive.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/88-93-REBUILT-CUTLASS-SUPREME-DIGITAL-INSTRUMENT-CLUSTER-115k-miles-50-REBATE/270771072643

Edited by snippits