Hole in valve cover?

UltimateDuster

I'm selling my engine from my parts car and discovered a hole in my valve cover when I removed my alternator that looks non stock. The engine ran fine when I drove it and last parked it with no knocks or issues. I just want to make sure I'm not selling the engine with a problem I didn't know about1548973223247546346205.thumb.jpg.2a0e3caf4ceb85099a2c56a3cfadcfbf.jpg1548973324543141457015.thumb.jpg.c4fb5dfed8a2f022b47df1662d58d6af.jpg

As long as it ran fine I'd not worry about it.  What I would do is replace the cover and make sure there is no debris in the head/valvetrain while its off.  Don't want to plug up an oil passage somewhere.  A used cover from a JY would be cheap and would likely be just as dirty so it wouldn't have one clean one and one dirty one on it.  Heck, I probably have a rear cover here if you need it.

• Thanks 1

I greatly appreciate everyone's responses. I think imp may be correct in his theory. I'm gonna break it open to make sure nothing got inside and replace with one from the junkyard. Thank you fordman for your offer and I would totally take you up on it if they weren't coming Saturday for the engine. 

One more question though, if I open the valve cover the gasket needs replaced correct?

I would replace it while its off, but that's just me.  For as little as they cost I'd just replace the F&R cover gaskets AND the bolt grommets.  Then just tell the new owner that you replaced them so there would be no oil leaks.  Fel-Pros are like $20 for a set of cover gaskets and the grommets are around $12 from Mahle.

Never tried reinstalling a used gasket on these.  Since you have to pull the alt. bracket to get the rear cover off the new owner would have to replace the coolant elbows again too.  If I was looking to buy this motor and swap it in with no issues I'd be kinda pissed if I had to do all that because the rear cover was leaking oil all over the place.  Just my .02 though...

I see where your coming from on that. I'll just replace the gaskets and grommets so there's no issues. It has the plastic elbows on the coolant right now so I'm gonna suggest they swap them out for the metal ones as I've had one blow out and leave me stranded before. Im only asking for 350 for the engine so I'm trying not to spend too much on repairs between everything. 

13 hours ago, Imp558 said:

Here's my guess, it lines up with the inboard alternator bracket because somebody put a way long bolt in and drove the bolt through the valve cover.

Almost guaranteed that's what happened. I'm surprised the bolt bored through as clean as it did without breaking a large chunk out of the cover.

I think they're fiberglass, or some other plastic reinforced with fiberglass if not fiberglass resin.

3800 valve covers are really fucking tough and thick though. I've seen many and never seen one with anything resembling a crack, that would take a good amount of force so probably accident damage.

It was probably me, when that grand Prix gt was rear ended I went out and bought a GTP ( cause I liked the GP so much) and got the GT back from the insurance company for spare parts. It probably happened when I took the water pump from it and was reassembling the old engine. Kinda feel dumb for not noticing