Fuel leak at fuel line/fuel rail connection on 3800

Leadfoot

I know this is a common issue, but I haven't owned a 3800 and dealt with it before.  I did a search and couldn't come up with a thread showing proper repair process, but I know its a common issue.  I must be using the wrong terms.

I am in charge of an estate.  There is a 03 Lesabre with the 3800 that has low miles.  I have a niece that is 17 and needs a relaible cheap car.  I was giving it a once over and getting it ready to pass inspection (it sat for over a year).  Everything seems good to go and ready for inspection, but I checked for this leak knowing it was common and did find that it leaks slightly.  On a google search I found a variety of opinions concerning the proper repair, but I have no idea how knowledgeable those people are.  Everything from replace the o ring and quick connect at that connection to replacing the entire line.  It appears Oreilly carries the ACDelco 217-452 orings.  Is that all that is needed or is there something else that should be addressed.  I just want to make sure its fixed for my niece.  

The GM solution was to remove the dress cover so the fuel would evaporate more quickly.

I like changing the o-rings and fixing the fucking leak a lot more.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, digitaloutsider said:

Replacing the O-rings should be fine, unless someone REALLY mangled the fuel lines and quick connects somehow.

No, its never been touched.  Just leaks a little.

10 hours ago, Imp558 said:

The GM solution was to remove the dress cover so the fuel would evaporate more quickly.

I like changing the o-rings and fixing the fucking leak a lot more.

HAHA  I am not surprised.  I agree.  I don't want to be up at night worrying about my niece.  I have done some things with $ out of my own pocket and not charging more.  I just want it to be solid and not have to worry about it.  

Had this issue on my 00 GT and my brothers 01 GT.  I followed the procedure below and haven't burnt one down yet, and I replaced mine probably 2-3 years ago now.  Just take your time getting the plastic retainers out that separate the O-rings.  It can be frustrating and you don't want to bend the nylon line around too hard.  I just kinda layed on top of the motor so I could see under it to minimize the height I had to pull the lines up to.

http://www.grandprixforums.com/general-tech-discussion/30008-could-this-be-causing-all-of-the-engine-fires.html?highlight=fires

Here is some information about replacing the fuel line o-rings. The same information should be on this forum but I can’t find it.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3984252/1

There is lots of confusing and bad information in these threads about replacing the o-rings. There is no reason to remove the o-ring spacer inside the plastic fuel line fitting. You don’t what to use any kind of lubricant when removing and replacing the o-rings.

GM used two #12 Viton o-rings in the larger supply line fittings and two #11 Viton o-rings in the smaller return fuel line fittings.

Don’t be confused about the o-ring colors if the replacement o-ring is Black and the package says For Fuel Lines they will be Viton (Fluorcarbon).

Don’t let some one talk you into using any other kind of o-ring material only use Viton (Fluorcarbon) o-rings.

Nitrile and HNBR o-rings are not made for today’s gasoline so don’t use them unless you like fuel leaks.