Cutlass convertible original drafts

ManicMechanic

The '88s that did not get it were true roadsters, no top at all.

The "basket handle" offers zero protection in the event of a rollover.

$_57 (31).JPG

31 minutes ago, ManicMechanic said:

The '88s that did not get it were true roadsters, no top at all.

The "basket handle" offers zero protection in the event of a rollover.

$_57 (31).JPG

So the handle is made for structure? Did GM not put extra bracing underneath like a traditional convertible. 

4 minutes ago, K&R said:

So the handle is made for structure? Did GM not put extra bracing underneath like a traditional convertible. 

None what so ever. The b-pillar was reinforced but between the pillars was just the same metal that was there when it began life as a coupe.

Someone was talking a while ago about the notches cut on either side of the engine bay on a 'vert. I assume those were to provide more crumple in a front end collision.

Makes me wonder what other little things like that are in place that haven't been noticed.

Wow!! So 1990 is the first full production year for the convertible. So the weak structure caught GM off guard and that’s why their aren’t any 1989 convertibles so they had to push it back to 1990?

17 minutes ago, K&R said:

Wow!! So 1990 is the first full production year for the convertible. So the weak structure caught GM off guard and that’s why their aren’t any 1989 convertibles so they had to push it back to 1990?

Correct.

Oh wow. The handle was just a quick fix then through the whole production! So I noticed the Chrysler PT Cuiser has the handle as well. Do you know if they did the same thing or is there extra support underneath?

These are great illustrations Manic. Thanks for posting them. Looks like they assigned individuals by name to fabricate different support pieces.

In the back of the 1991 CS Service Manual Vol 2, there is a section which shows all of the reinforcements added to the coupes to make them convertibles. I counted 30 diagrams and each diagram appears to show a different support brace and it’s location on the car. I’d post all of them in a separate link, but my manual looks like termites got in it and the entire section of the manual is damaged. If someone could post up the diagrams in the Vert section that would be great. Here are just some of the diagrams.

ebd56a1c6a5af0dad7987baae9e888b5.jpgff19f1dbd430b8e21f242c23a5960abc.jpg1161a134e2fa15a68e04d9428072f34f.jpgbc0d2808b8111372df47bbfdb60c99af.jpgaacfeac4abf4996fb432e63ef0bdebb6.jpg7776272d653c844e898dc6328fb8ab59.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MemphisMan said:

These are great illustrations Manic. Thanks for posting them. Looks like they assigned individuals by name to fabricate different support pieces.

In the back of the 1991 CS Service Manual Vol 2, there is a section which shows all of the reinforcements added to the coupes to make them convertibles. I counted 30 diagrams and each diagram appears to show a different support brace and it’s location on the car. I’d post all of them in a separate link, but my manual looks like termites got in it and the entire section of the manual is damaged. If someone could post up the diagrams in the Vert section that would be great. Here are just some of the diagrams.

ebd56a1c6a5af0dad7987baae9e888b5.jpgff19f1dbd430b8e21f242c23a5960abc.jpg1161a134e2fa15a68e04d9428072f34f.jpgbc0d2808b8111372df47bbfdb60c99af.jpgaacfeac4abf4996fb432e63ef0bdebb6.jpg7776272d653c844e898dc6328fb8ab59.jpg

Sorry Memphis, I tried to take pics out of my book but my phone is turning the images upside down or sideways for some reason and I don't know how to fix it.  Any ideas?

Hmmm, if you have MS Office, you can rotate them in picture viewer then upload them. If not, PM them to me and I can rotate them?

• 4 weeks later...

Really cool pics of those drafts!! Amazing what drawing skills people have.. Also cool to see where the reinforcements are exactly, I do have that Vol.2 - never knew it contained those vert reinforcement locations.
I was recently watching an old GM video and I remember them talking about another model that also skipped a year to sort out the convertible reinforcement stuff. I was just interested to hear that it wasn't strictly an Olds problem heh.