Where to start for suspension upgrades

Amanita

I was also looking at these Pirellis, but I think if I want to use tires as nice as those it would be worthwhile to get wider wheels first.

Also, what size is my front sway bar? It's a 1996 Grand Prix SE. I saw GTP091 had some 34mm sway bars from '92 grand prixs listed for sale a few months ago and was wondering if those are bigger than the stock one I currently have in case he has one left.

Edited by Amanita

On 1/16/2019 at 10:13 AM, Amanita said:

Should this one fit? It says fits all 1996-2006 w-bodies but I'm questioning that claim.

https://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=products&productid=217&superpro=0

Additionally, the rear one only fits 1997 and up. Is there anybody that makes rear strut bars specifically for 1st gen W bodies?

Edit: Ordered a rear strut bar from GOT2B GM today! Going to call BMR later this week and check that their front strut bar does actually fit a '96 grand prix. Also, now that the snow has finally melted I got under the car and checked the suspension. Everything seems to be in decent shape thankfully.

Dude save your money, ive got 3-4 Cutlass front tower braces Ive collected over the years. PM me if you want one, they all could use a good painting though. The one in the link reads as if its for the 2nd gen GP that was started up in `97.

Maybe a few made it out in 1996?

9 minutes ago, rich_e777 said:

Dude save your money, ive got 3-4 Cutlass front tower braces Ive collected over the years. PM me if you want one, they all could use a good painting though. The one in the link reads as if its for the 2nd gen GP that was started up in `97.

Maybe a few made it out in 1996?

I'm actually about to get one of those along with a 34mm front sway bar from @GTP091, but thank you for the offer!

Edited by Amanita

Here’s the strut bar not easy to photo because it’s so long. I used rubber washers to secure it to the tower so the powder coating isn’t damaged at the bolt holes

5C9DB61B-32A4-4327-B150-BB5D2E246F49.jpeg

2DE703AA-861A-4F32-A6E0-347FC437E801.jpeg

• Like 3

With the strut bars sorted out now I'm probably going to go with upgrading the sway bars next. Do the Monte Carlo Z34s with the 3800 have the same size rear sway bar as the 1995-1997 models? Is their front sway bar also bigger than other models that came with the LQ1? Either way, I'm going to be looking out for Monte Carlos in junkyards near me, I know of one but it isn't a z34. When I come across one what other parts should I take from it?

Edited by Amanita

Turns out there's a place only 20 minutes from me with z34 sway bars and they are open on Saturdays. I'm going to stop by there tomorrow and see what shape they are in.

7 minutes ago, Amanita said:

Turns out there's a place only 20 minutes from me with z34 sway bars and they are open on Saturdays. I'm going to stop by there tomorrow and see what shape they are in.

Take a caliper or something to measure the diameter with. Just in case they're in their system as "fits z34".

3 minutes ago, Imp558 said:

Take a caliper or something to measure the diameter with. Just in case they're in their system as "fits z34".

Good idea, I'll take one with me. Is there anything else I should take off it while I have the chance?

On 1/23/2019 at 12:06 AM, GTP091 said:

Here’s the strut bar not easy to photo because it’s so long. I used rubber washers to secure it to the tower so the powder coating isn’t damaged at the bolt holes

5C9DB61B-32A4-4327-B150-BB5D2E246F49.jpeg

2DE703AA-861A-4F32-A6E0-347FC437E801.jpeg

Dude, next time you fire up your time machine I need a center console lid.

That FSTB is beautiful.

On 1/24/2019 at 5:32 PM, Amanita said:

With the strut bars sorted out now I'm probably going to go with upgrading the sway bars next. Do the Monte Carlo Z34s with the 3800 have the same size rear sway bar as the 1995-1997 models? Is their front sway bar also bigger than other models that came with the LQ1? Either way, I'm going to be looking out for Monte Carlos in junkyards near me, I know of one but it isn't a z34. When I come across one what other parts should I take from it?

The rear sway bar onz34 are same as what you Normal Wbody dy.  The 1995 LQ1 z34/Ltz has larger sway bars.  Maybe 94, but once you look at the back you will see they are significantly larger. I had a set on my cutlass, also upgrad to poly be shines front and rear.

Just got back from the junkyard with these, they came out of a '96 Monte Carlo z34. Now I need to order some new end links/poly bushings and sand the rust off/repaint them.

17 hours ago, Imp558 said:

FE3 springs?

Yeah, it has FE3 springs, don't all '96 Grand Prix coupes since they were all sport packages that year?

2019-01-26 12.12.25.jpg

Edited by Amanita

48 minutes ago, Imp558 said:

Those are nice!

If your spare tire cover is intact it'll have an rpo code sticker on it. Look for FE? and hopefully it's FE3.

Thanks! I wet sanded the front one today, going to try and paint it tomorrow if its warm enough.

Its FE3, I made sure to check that before I went to pick them up this morning.

Edited by Amanita