UA-65274002-1 Jump to content
rich_e777

W-body.com Southern meetup 2019

Well since I mentioned it I feel I should start the thread to share thoughts and ideas, but foremost I dont want to plan anything near the date of or close to the actual 2019 W-body meet up most of the guy do up north in case some of you crazy Canucks want to venture this far south, ya`ll more than welcome of course. I`d love to be able to make it up north but I really cannot justify a 12-14 hour drive to hang out for a few hours and then drive back. Well until the Vert 100% aligned anyways the coupe has an overheating issue on long drives. Theres a few members that expressed some interest in a more southern location so lets see what ideas we might come up with.

If the schedule were wide open I`d recommend Nashville TN on the weekend of May 3rd-5th only because that the huge GoodGuys car show and If we rolled up in a convoy we`d definitely get some attention from the classic car community . Some of you guys have been through before and can vouch for the tourist attractions and restaurants, as a lifetime local I know several awesome places, several JYs around, a weird car museum, Nashville speedway might let us on their track for a few laps, lots of parking at my place for a gathering around the bonfire/cooler/grill or can always hang out at the lake doing the same thing.

I dont mind if we choose a more centralized locale for everyone, just tossing the idea out there.

I'm very interested in this.  I've never been to a GoodGuys show, but heard good things.  My wife loves Nashville too.  It's a 3.5 hour drive so I'd plan on bringing both cars.  

I'm all in for the most central location as possible too.  Let's see who all responds.  

Rich, the summer meet up here is always in June or early July. IMO if you want to cement a date in May there's very little chance of it coinciding with the Northern Meet. Also if you set a date first we would simply take that weekend off the table.

Besides, the weather is a factor and May would be less opportunistic here anyway.

Weather in May here can be hit or miss, kind of like April. It does stay warmer for longer in the year in these parts so we can always have one in the Fall if that time of year would be better. I`m going to the car show in the Vert regardless of any plan we have here.

Edited by rich_e777

I want to go to Nashville again and this sort of meetup might be just the right excuse.
Maybe he has avoid highways or tolls on?

That could be a possibly. I’ll have to go threw and check that. Regardless that’s a long trip for me.

I’d definitely come to a southern meet as I am in South West Missouri. If the dates May 3-5 were to be set in stone, I’d unfortunately be unable to go. Unless by some miracle both races get moved.

Edited by Z34Luminasty

Just for reference, I added a map with a red star marking the location of everyone who has responded to this thread.  It might help determine a location that's as centrally located as possible.  Just food for thought.  I'm still up for Nashville, but could go any direction if it makes it closer for someone else.

I'll update the map based on the location in peoples profile as they respond in the thread.MeetupMap.thumb.jpg.0fe8705661fc55b4622c9da036230967.jpg

I'm surprised we don't do that more often with meetup planning. Unfortunately, I'll have to take myself out of the running for hitting Nashville this year. My trip took away all my vacation days and I can't make it down there sans Friday drive time.

I could come to a meet in Nashville or Joplin. unfortunately I couldn't bring my car. It has some issues. I would have to be a spectator.  

As useful as that last big update was.....I still have yet to learn to navigate this site as good as I used to. That being said Ive not had any notifications on this thread and sort of forgot about it. If you guys interested in meeting up in the South lets shoot for a late summer/early fall date as May is coming up awful quick. I`m still going to be at the car show that weekend so of course any W-bodiers are welcome but if a later confirmed date= more people/cars. 

To be honest I`ve not put together a large event and not really sure what you guys expect of the planning. I`m good hanging around a parking lot of cars/tools/grille/cooler full o beer all at once but i realize some of the more refined people might have actual standards. Talking about the wives here guys, you know we could survive on MREs and a portojohn. Big thanks to MemphisMan for the map!