Replacing a shift boot.

Z34Luminasty

I have a 1992 5speed lumina. I couldn’t find the original boot replacement to save my life. So I went the “universal shift boot from eBay” route. Of course the thickness, amount of fabric, and lack of instructions impacted how I had to install it. I shamelessly used zip ties and a lot of tucking. I think it turned out alright Any comments or tips on how to do it differently next time?

C786648E-3EF2-42A0-B8DF-A375897EE04E.jpeg

145CF32D-3C72-400D-9F8E-5A48EED73C0F.jpeg

47847491-2B35-4E00-8CAE-1102F7559F80.jpeg

A3D6E859-4BA1-49C7-813C-B3684DD38DF3.jpeg

Edited by Z34Luminasty
Forgot to add a close up photo to the post.

There are always compromises or extra work involved in universal parts in my experience. Was anything wrong with the original boot or did you just want a color change? Easiest way to ensure a good fit and easy installation would be to have an interior or upholstery place duplicate the factory boot in the color and style of your choice. Of course that isn't the cheapest option. Second best would be to source a good condition boot from another one of these cars if your boot was tore and you just wanted a direct replacement in the same color.

Edited by mfewtrail

Just now, mfewtrail said:

Was anything wrong with the original boot or did you just want a color change? Easiest way to ensure a good fit and easy installation would be to have an interior or upholstery place duplicate the factory boot in the color and style of your choice. Of course that isn't the cheapest option. Second best would be to source a good condition boot from another one of these cars if your boot was tore and you just wanted a direct replacement in the same color.

Yes, the original boot had more holes than I’d like to mention, the stitching also was completely gone and just didn’t look right. I took the “let’s find the stock option first.” Well, that ended up getting me nowhere, since I can’t find a manual Z34 in a yard with a shift boot since they’re all automatics. I do like the color change however, since she’s white on the outside and I wanted to bring some of that to the interior. I honestly like it more than I thought I would. I have an upholsterer that is close, however, it would’ve been an 8 week wait, and a good chunk of change since it was molded to a plastic square type snap ring that snaps into the center console. I mean, I’m not opposed to it, maybe one day I’ll have a boot made with flames to match! I just hope it looks alright, since it’s perfectly functional and doesn’t cause any issues with anything beneath or above. 

1 minute ago, Imp558 said:

I know, I know, I know it's tacky but I've always liked this "universal" shift boot.

d259c97df74ad04cbec7c23c6f6ca244.jpg

Don’t feel bad... I was tempted myself multiple times. What can I say, maybe I’m tacky too. If you want to spice things up, get corona apple and put it in some AppleCran juice. 🙏🏻

I think that looks fricken sweet! Now if only you could match the steering wheel cover... (probably a bit much)

Not that it matters now, but as an idea I think black with white stitching on both would look awesome.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Psych0matt said:

I think that looks fricken sweet! Now if only you could match the steering wheel cover... (probably a bit much)

Not that it matters now, but as an idea I think black with white stitching on both would look awesome.

Haha there’s a new project for me! I have the “extra” gene anyway. And thank you!

It does matter! Don’t disregard your ideas! I wish I could’ve found a black boot with white stitching.

On 12/23/2018 at 2:11 PM, jiggity76 said:

I remember those flames, looks like I posted about it on April 10th of this year.  Be warned, I wasn't nice about the flames and still don't like them but it's your car to do whatever you want to it and very glad you found a rare 5 speed Z34!  By the way, here's the part # for the shifter boot, 12502081.  I'm assuming that GM used the same boot part # for all W's but maybe I'm wrong.  It's a good place to start though.  I'm also looking to see if I can find one for you.  I'll let you know and look forward to your progress!

Pulling this comment to this thread...I'm thinking the shift boots were different between the 5 speed W-bodys, I know the shift knobs are.  jiggity, I think you got the above part number from the Cutlass Supreme parts catalog, correct?  Here is the shift boot and knob from my '91 Cutlass Supreme, which is totally different.  I've seen a lot of CSs with the same boot and knob as I have.  I've also seen a lot of boots on Luminas that all look the same, and are different from the Cutlass ones.  I'm going to pull my boot off and have one recreated by a local upholstery shop.  Mine is torn on the front and back.

IMG_9568.jpg

13 minutes ago, MemphisMan said:

Pulling this comment to this thread...I'm thinking the shift boots were different between the 5 speed W-bodys, I know the shift knobs are.  jiggity, I think you got the above part number from the Cutlass Supreme parts catalog, correct?  Here is the shift boot and knob from my '91 Cutlass Supreme, which is totally different.  I've seen a lot of CSs with the same boot and knob as I have.  I've also seen a lot of boots on Luminas that all look the same, and are different from the Cutlass ones.  I'm going to pull my boot off and have one recreated by a local upholstery shop.  Mine is torn on the front and back.

IMG_9568.jpg

Definitely way different than mine. Way too small. I will be having one reupholstered soon to match. 

FB949BFE-AE8C-4C38-9826-8BD0D5AB5540.jpeg

So I was wrong, sorry guys.  I was just assuming and glad MemphisMan chimed in.  Good catch and I learned something new!  Yes, I made the mistake thinking the shift boots are all the same and I did use the number from my Cutlass parts catalog, my bad.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, jiggity76 said:

So I was wrong, sorry guys.  I was just assuming and glad MemphisMan chimed in.  Good catch and I learned something new!  Yes, I made the mistake thinking the shift boots are all the same and I did use the number from my Cutlass parts catalog, my bad.

It’s okay! I mess up stuff all the time! It’s not a big deal at all ☺️.