Getrag 284 & axleshaft replacement.

Z34Luminasty

I believe I’m in the correct place. If not, please tell me otherwise. 

I went to my local auto zone. They offer a core charge, I believe I can get the passenger side for 34 or 43.99 and the drivers for 54.99. (don’t quote me exactly, I’ve slept since then). I do want to know however, in their system, the don’t give the option of selecting between the 282 & the 284. Will that make a difference in replacing the shafts?

Presuming you have a 5 speed Lumina Z34, than you have a Getrag 284, unless it's been swapped.

Order axles for 91-93 Lumina Z34 with manual trans and you'll get the right ones.

Tip, ensure the stub shaft on the driver's side axle either stays in the trans, or you remove it from the axle BEFORE you hand it in as a core.  You'll be searching for a new one and won't find it easily!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bake82 said:

Presuming you have a 5 speed Lumina Z34, than you have a Getrag 284, unless it's been swapped.

Order axles for 91-93 Lumina Z34 with manual trans and you'll get the right ones.

Tip, ensure the stub shaft on the driver's side axle either stays in the trans, or you remove it from the axle BEFORE you hand it in as a core.  You'll be searching for a new one and won't find it easily!

It’s the stock 5Spd 284, forgot to make that clear! And thank you for the tip on that. I dig through both of my shop manuals and neither defined either way of a potential spline difference! I also found them pretty cheap on RockAuto no core charge but that’ll save me some money up front. I won’t have to fork over $210.00. Again, thank you Bake!

The old cv axles you had were worn out and clicking during turns or boots leaking and not wanting to reseal/rebuild? I ask because I have a complete set and wondering their overall condition before I put my own into to service with 180k on em

14 minutes ago, GTP091 said:

The old cv axles you had were worn out and clicking during turns or boots leaking and not wanting to reseal/rebuild? I ask because I have a complete set and wondering their overall condition before I put my own into to service with 180k on em

They're clicking and worn out since they do have 290k miles on them. If they were just leaking I'd have them rebuilt, I'd go ahead and put your own into your car!

5 hours ago, GTP091 said:

290k. That’s a fair bit. How’s the 284 holding up?

I honestly think she’s holding up very well. She hasn’t disappointed me yet, then again, I’ve never beat the living mother out of it.