Hello all!

Z34Luminasty

I shall introduce myself, excuse my ignorance when it comes to forums and how they work. I’m Sarah, from Missouri. I’m excited for the W-Body meet as well. I’m also down to meet anyone who want to have a cruise or meet. Somehow, no one in Missouri exists with a WBody I guess. I own a 1992 z34 284 Lumina, and enjoy long walks to the parts store.

40205164-DEC5-4768-811E-69D9C6CCF8B9.jpeg

Edited by Z34Luminasty
Wanted to include some information I forgot to write in the original post.
  • Like 4

Welcome Sarah! There's challenges to owning an older car, I've walked (or ridden my bike) to the parts stores too so I feel your pain.

The good news is there's only so many common failures so once those are likely close to over.

That's a nice looking Z, thank you for posting a picture too, you'll make friends fast here that way.

https://www.w-body.com/topic/56139-welcome-new-w-bodycom-members/

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Imp558 said:

Welcome Sarah! There's challenges to owning an older car, I've walked (or ridden my bike) to the parts stores too so I feel your pain.

The good news is there's only so many common failures so once those are likely close to over.

That's a nice looking Z, thank you for posting a picture too, you'll make friends fast here that way.

https://www.w-body.com/topic/56139-welcome-new-w-bodycom-members/

I honestly haven’t had too many issues. Right now, she needs axleshafts, and I need to find the BOSE Amplifier. Other than that, I’ve only replaced the IAC & TPS. Even though the best relationship I have is with my parts guy.

Just now, Imp558 said:

Have you tried Rockauto for cv shafts? There's usually some good deals there.

I haven’t yet, I went to my local auto zone. They offer a core charge, I believe I can get the passenger side for 34 or 43.99 and the drivers for 54.99. (don’t quote me exactly, I’ve slept since then). I do want to know however, in their system, the don’t give the option of selecting between the 282 & the 284. Will that make a difference in replacing the shafts?

That's a good question, one of our 284 guys will know for sure but I run 4T65's. In the automatic transmissions there's two different splines between the regular and HD so I would expect there to be different splines it the tougher 284 as well.

It's kind of nice to make a thread in rides, it keeps everything in chronological order and when people pop in with part numbers and stuff it's easier to find later.

1 minute ago, Imp558 said:

That's a good question, one of our 284 guys will know for sure but I run 4T65's. In the automatic transmissions there's two different splines between the regular and HD so I would expect there to be different splines it the tougher 284 as well.

It's kind of nice to make a thread in rides, it keeps everything in chronological order and when people pop in with part numbers and stuff it's easier to find later.

I’ll do that. Thank you so much!

3 hours ago, Z34Luminasty said:

You are correct! It has the 284 5-speed. 

I remember posting that car when it was on CL awhile back, I'm assuming your the new owner?  Congrats, a lot of great info and people here to help!

3 minutes ago, jiggity76 said:

I remember posting that car when it was on CL awhile back, I'm assuming your the new owner?  Congrats, a lot of great info and people here to help!

I’m not sure. The previous owner had it for over 19 years. I’m the proud 3rd owner of her. I got her off of Facebook marketplace. I don’t remember if it was on Craigslist. I don’t think there’s another one like her. 

I remember those flames, looks like I posted about it on April 10th of this year.  Be warned, I wasn't nice about the flames and still don't like them but it's your car to do whatever you want to it and very glad you found a rare 5 speed Z34!  By the way, here's the part # for the shifter boot, 12502081.  I'm assuming that GM used the same boot part # for all W's but maybe I'm wrong.  It's a good place to start though.  I'm also looking to see if I can find one for you.  I'll let you know and look forward to your progress!

Edited by jiggity76

Just now, jiggity76 said:

I found it, looks like I posted about it on April 10th of this year.  Be warned, I wasn't nice about the flames and still don't like them but it's your car to do whatever you want to it and very glad you found a rare 5 speed Z34!  By the way, here's the part # for the shifter boot, 12502081.  I'm assuming that GM used the same boot part # for all W's but maybe I'm wrong.  It's a good place to start though.  I'm also looking to see if I can find one for you.  I'll let you know and look forward to your progress!

My apologies for misunderstanding! It’s okay, we all have our personal tastes! I love them personally since I think it fits my personality. And thank you for finding the part number! I’ll check it out when I get a few extra minutes. Thank you for all your help! :)

8 minutes ago, jiggity76 said:

I remember those flames, looks like I posted about it on April 10th of this year.  Be warned, I wasn't nice about the flames and still don't like them but it's your car to do whatever you want to it and very glad you found a rare 5 speed Z34!  By the way, here's the part # for the shifter boot, 12502081.  I'm assuming that GM used the same boot part # for all W's but maybe I'm wrong.  It's a good place to start though.  I'm also looking to see if I can find one for you.  I'll let you know and look forward to your progress!

I found your original quote. You weren’t even harsh. 😂

No, no, don't apologize!  It's all good!  Don't let me or anyone else tell you what you should do with your new ride!  It's your car and you should love it and enjoy it for the reasons that you do.  Some people on here know that I'm a stock guy when it comes to these wonderful cars but whatever makes you happy in making it your own, then by all means do it and don't apologize to anyone!

I'm going to search around for that boot, just to let you know, you and I have pretty rare cars and that can be a double edged sword when finding the things we need for them.  That's also part of the fun I think!

• Like 1

Just now, jiggity76 said:

No, no, don't apologize!  It's all good!  Don't let me or anyone else tell you what you should do with your new ride!  It's your car and you should love it and enjoy it for the reasons that you do.  Some people on here know that I'm a stock guy when it comes to these wonderful cars but whatever makes you happy in making it your own, then by all means do it and don't apologize to anyone!

I'm going to search around for that boot, just to let you know, you and I have pretty rare cars and that can be a double edged sword when finding the things we need for them.  That's also part of the fun I think!

It is fun but also very very annoying. I’d love to see your ride one day! Are you going to the W-Body meet next year? Also, he had the Lumina painted to match his Chevy dually. It’s quite the pair, if I do say so myself. I’d love to get my hands on his truck as well. I love a lot of things stock. But I also understand a lot of parts are impossible to keep that way. I’ve so far found one Amplifier in the United States since I have the Delco Bose sound system. The Amplifier literally caught on fire and burnt up some of my rear window carpeting (whatever it’s called).

13 minutes ago, Z34Luminasty said:

It is fun but also very very annoying. I’d love to see your ride one day! Are you going to the W-Body meet next year? Also, he had the Lumina painted to match his Chevy dually. It’s quite the pair, if I do say so myself. I’d love to get my hands on his truck as well. I love a lot of things stock. But I also understand a lot of parts are impossible to keep that way. I’ve so far found one Amplifier in the United States since I have the Delco Bose sound system. The Amplifier literally caught on fire and burnt up some of my rear window carpeting (whatever it’s called).

Oh wow!  I'm glad it didn't burn up the car, that's scary!  I have actually found a lot of NOS parts for both my International and STE but there are a lot of things that I have to rely on finding in the junkyards. 

I'm not sure yet about the meet.  I have to finish up projects, go get my STE (in California) and all that takes money!  I'm definitely going to one as I haven't been to one yet and would love to meet everyone face to face!

4 minutes ago, jiggity76 said:

Oh wow!  I'm glad it didn't burn up the car, that's scary!  I have actually found a lot of NOS parts for both my International and STE but there are a lot of things that I have to rely on finding in the junkyards. 

I'm not sure yet about the meet.  I have to finish up projects, go get my STE (in California) and all that takes money!  I'm definitely going to one as I haven't been to one yet and would love to meet everyone face to face!

I’m glad it didn’t burn up either! What sucks, is many of the parts I need to go search for aren’t in junkyards garound me. There’s one junkyard that has 3 z34s with the exact sound systems but I’d have to drive down and get it myself. Needless to say I don’t feel like driving to the west pan handle of Texas or Houston itself to potentially find an Amplifier. They were all quite rude and not helpful whatsoever. Also, the best of luck to you and your car repairs and adventures, I guess you better get that car from Cali! I’m ecstatic to meet everyone.

2 minutes ago, Z34Luminasty said:

I’m glad it didn’t burn up either! What sucks, is many of the parts I need to go search for aren’t in junkyards garound me. There’s one junkyard that has 3 z34s with the exact sound systems but I’d have to drive down and get it myself. Needless to say I don’t feel like driving to the west pan handle of Texas or Houston itself to potentially find an Amplifier. They were all quite rude and not helpful whatsoever. Also, the best of luck to you and your car repairs and adventures, I guess you better get that car from Cali! I’m ecstatic to meet everyone.

Luckily, I'm 3 hours from everywhere so I frequently go to yards to get the parts I need.  You have to go to where the parts are for these cars and it sometimes sucks but that's what I'm willing to do I guess.  I also enjoy walking around the yards too!  Most places are rude, don't know why but oh well, no skin off of my back.

Thank you, I'm enjoying working on my International and really excited to get the STE home.  I would try calling your local GM parts department and see if they can find that boot for you.  Give them that number.  I tried the places I know where to look on my end but came up with nothing.  I'll keep an eye out.  Also, I like to post any cars of interest or parts cars including the Z34's so look for those too.

4 minutes ago, jiggity76 said:

Luckily, I'm 3 hours from everywhere so I frequently go to yards to get the parts I need.  You have to go to where the parts are for these cars and it sometimes sucks but that's what I'm willing to do I guess.  I also enjoy walking around the yards too!  Most places are rude, don't know why but oh well, no skin off of my back.

Thank you, I'm enjoying working on my International and really excited to get the STE home.  I would try calling your local GM parts department and see if they can find that boot for you.  Give them that number.  I tried the places I know where to look on my end but came up with nothing.  I'll keep an eye out.  Also, I like to post any cars of interest or parts cars including the Z34's so look for those too.

Don’t get me wrong. I don’t mind going to get them but Houston is 13 hours away for me, I’d love to go but sometimes on a regular basis I just can’t. There’s no way. I could spend literal days in parts yards. I’ve done hours before. Found some interesting Instagram accounts on some mustangs. 😂

2 minutes ago, Z34Luminasty said:

Don’t get me wrong. I don’t mind going to get them but Houston is 13 hours away for me, I’d love to go but sometimes on a regular basis I just can’t. There’s no way. I could spend literal days in parts yards. I’ve done hours before. Found some interesting Instagram accounts on some mustangs. 😂

When I go to Cali to get the STE, I want to go junkyarding while I'm out there.  Could you imagine all that pristine metal!