Trunk leaks

W30olds

Any of you guys had to deal with your trunks leaking? Mine is and I'm having a time finding it. So I ordered a new trunk seal and today I'm going to reseal the bolts that hold down the sopiler. Hope that takes care of the leak. It's on my 95 Grand Prix. I'm about 95% sure it's the seal leaking. However I did see some water coming from the spoiler bolts, so will be using some silicone to fix those. Fun, fun!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

When my Regal was damp in the trunk it turned out to be the window. 
That sucks. I know it's leaking from the bolt holes for sure. The other areas are on the sides near the rear. Almost in the middle to be close. That's why I think the trunk seals leaking when the trunks shut. Will see what happens. Hopefully the resealed spoiler bolts will help some until the seal gets here

Mine was the top of the window, it would run down around the window and drip in the trunk. My GS has a leaky luggage rack bolt right about dead center, you've inspired me to pick up some seam sealer today.  

• Like 2

Mine was the top of the window, it would run down around the window and drip in the trunk. My GS has a leaky luggage rack bolt right about dead center, you've inspired me to pick up some seam sealer today.  
I'm in the garage right now sealing up the trunk spoiler bolts. Good times. Lol

Stupid auto parts store only had seam sealer in a caulking tube. I got it but I know 90% of it is going to be hard before I can use it.

Ain't that the truth. All I've got is vatozone close by. Got a tube of permatex black RTV stuff. Hope that will do it. Also got a pack of smell good stuff for the vents. Sorry impulse buy....lol

Ive only seen the seam sealer and window urethane in caulk gun tubes, I couldnt imagine trying to hand squeeze that gunk out of a regular foil tube when cold. Black RTV will be more than enough to seal up spoiler holes so long as you do it right.

Well the new trunk seal came today and has been installed. Ran the hose over the trunk lid and so far no water. It's suppose to rain the next 2 days here, so that will be a good test to see if it's fixed. The seal is from Metro Supersoft. Part number is TK46-H if anyone wants a new trunk seal. Got it off Amazon for about $18 with free shipping. Dang Vatozone wanted $40 for the same seal. Thanks to Amazon!

BTW this seal fits:

88-96 regal

88-96 grand prix

88-97 cutlass

90-94 lumina

If anyone needs one.

Well the new trunk seal works great, but still have a leak. It leaks on both sides in the same places. So the spoiler holes don't leak at least. Looks like it's leaking somewhere forward and running down the side trunk panels. Perhaps the quarter windows are leaking. I verified the tail lights are not leaking. The search continues

Could this be the cause of the trunk leaks? Water maybe running into this opening and down the channel into the trunk? Because it's leaking in the same place on both sides. It's not the tail lights because I checked those.

It's the whatever they are gaskets on the roof behind the front doors above the back window. The quarter glass gaskets look solid and didn't see any signs of cracking.

Thanks!9ff83ecdc3dc466aa00598b74ff7f62c.jpgcfea830b8aa869a309acc8545bf9b11c.jpg

That's where mine leaked. I cut a very small tip on a silicone tube and pryed that trim up just enough to get it under with a plastic scraper.

My trim was lifted a little, on yours I'd use black silicone or window urethane and just fill those sections in without lifting the trim. It wouldn't look perfect but I don't see matching the red and clear would stand out IMO.

That's where mine leaked. I cut a very small tip on a silicone tube and pryed that trim up just enough to get it under with a plastic scraper.
My trim was lifted a little, on yours I'd use black silicone or window urethane and just fill those sections in without lifting the trim. It wouldn't look perfect but I don't see matching the red and clear would stand out IMO.
Thanks man! That's the only place I could see where it would be leaking now. New trunk seal and resealed the spoiler bolt holes. So I'm going to seal these spots and hopefully it will keep it dry.

On 12/23/2018 at 12:25 AM, jman093 said:

Wish I'd seen this sooner. Very common (for Grand Prixs at least) to leak into the trunk at the taillights.

^This. The studs on the taillights have sorta rubber washers on them and they disintegrate with age. . When they're bad enough, you can end up with a spare tire well that accumulates a lot of water.

Edited by mfewtrail

On 12/23/2018 at 12:27 PM, W30olds said:

Could this be the cause of the trunk leaks? Water maybe running into this opening and down the channel into the trunk? Because it's leaking in the same place on both sides. It's not the tail lights because I checked those.

It's the whatever they are gaskets on the roof behind the front doors above the back window. The quarter glass gaskets look solid and didn't see any signs of cracking.

Thanks!9ff83ecdc3dc466aa00598b74ff7f62c.jpgcfea830b8aa869a309acc8545bf9b11c.jpg

Those are the roof ditch moldings. They are not meant to seal water. Their function is as a ditch/trough to keep your front door from being a waterfall from the water running off the roof when it's raining. They do not seal. If you are certain water from there is causing your leak, it means the back glass seal is missing. You could perhaps mitigate the problem by stuffing it full of silicone or something as Imp558 said, so water the ditch sheds is directed elsewhere and the glass seal doesn't have to block as much water.

• 3 weeks later...

Mine was leaking on a 92 Cutlass Supreme.  Installed a new trunk gasket, and that stopped most of the leaks. 

If it rained really hard just a little bit of water was getting in, and I could not find out where.  Finally found that it was leaking at seams where seam sealer was used at the factory.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

When the trunks of my cars get wet, I know it's time to clean all the damned rotten leaves out from the side and front of the trunk seal.  They hold water, keeping the seal wet.

Mine is still leaking. Can't seem to figure out exactly where. I relocated my two Rockford Fosgate amps to the interior of the car to keep from damaging them. So one day I might find the leak.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My rear driver side carpet was getting wet.  The driver side rear door rubber seal was loose.  Cleaned the rubber seal real good, and then glued it back to where it was supposed to be.  No more leaks.  Luckily, I did not have to buy new door seals.

Edited by snippits