W-34

James Robert

I must admit, I'm tempted with my '95 Cutlass Supreme convertible LQ1, to take out the bumper mounted fog lights, and custom make dual intake ducts, connected to a custom air intake system,  with 442 emblems on the doors and make W-34 emblems for the front fenders...…..no more cocktails for me tonight.....

35 minutes ago, James Robert said:

I must admit, I'm tempted with my '95 Cutlass Supreme convertible LQ1, to take out the bumper mounted fog lights, and custom make dual intake ducts, connected to a custom air intake system,  with 442 emblems on the doors and make W-34 emblems for the front fenders...…..no more cocktails for me tonight.....

I'm a factory stock car guy, please don't do that!  Maybe you should switch to some other alcoholic drink, LOL!

I had that same thought about the fog light cutouts to use as intakes, inspired by the F-14 and F-15 but it would suck up all sorts of crap from the road and still not make any sort of noticeable gains in HP/torque. I feel like any W-body 442 should have a N* under the hood vs a LQ1/L67.

I would never make any permanent mods. If I did anything, it would be fully reversible. When I was 16, I made a W32 out of my '69 Cutlass S convert, using dryer duct and hand folded aluminum sheets duct taped to the bottom of the bumper...….worked for a while, but they kept falling off and I finally ran over them. Still dumb and poor...…...

3 minutes ago, rich_e777 said:

I had that same thought about the fog light cutouts to use as intakes, inspired by the F-14 and F-15 but it would suck up all sorts of crap from the road and still not make any sort of noticeable gains in HP/torque. I feel like any W-body 442 should have a N* under the hood vs a LQ1/L67.

That's so true. Just after seeing the tiny little breather inlet on my car, stuck behind the headlights, seems like anything would help. I also find if funny that the car has 4 exhaust tips, but it's really a single exhaust pipe.

Even though it looks small the vacuum from the engine can still suck in a decent volumn of air from were its at, more intake diameter wont really do anything until you go from sucking in air to forcing in air, A.K.A. Forced Induction, adding a supercharger or turbocharger. 

The exhaust tips are for looks and IIRC only one has an actual opening, Ive got C5 tips on mine and cannot recall what the originals looked like. I did have a noticeable gain in power from replacing the stock DP and cat converter to the bolt on magnaflow high flow cat converter. Highly recommend anyone in a 1st gen do.

Use the fogs for brake ducts to cool the brakes. Add Brembo's to the front and rear. Add a W-30 style hood with ram air. all things that would be reversible. Not sure on a W-30 style spoiler though, but you could add a kick up lip to the current lip. 

On 12/14/2018 at 7:52 PM, jiggity76 said:

I'm a factory stock car guy, please don't do that!  Maybe you should switch to some other alcoholic drink, LOL!

I'm not a fan of the fog lights on my vert, not enough to remove them though. It makes the car look like it has buck teeth 

1 hour ago, K&R said:

I'm not a fan of the fog lights on my vert, not enough to remove them though. It makes the car look like it has buck teeth 

I like my fog lights!  I agree they are not integrated the best on our cars but they are correct and very 90's!  Better than what it did have when I found her!  The original owner hit one of those parking blocks/high sidewalk curb and damaged the original fogs and bumper.  Her grandson I think put on some crappy aftermarket ones and it looked awful.  Thankfully the 89 parts car had the original ones still.

2RfeIc.jpgRNADXj.jpg

Edited by jiggity76

I like the fog lights on the '88 Convertible and 92-95. Further apart and inset with the bumper. I'm going to start a thread; W bodies Love them but what don't you like about them. Lol  

3 hours ago, K&R said:

I like the fog lights on the '88 Convertible and 92-95. Further apart and inset with the bumper. I'm going to start a thread; W bodies Love them but what don't you like about them. Lol  

I think there might be a thread about them somewhere.  I know the rear brakes are a pain to work on, the parking brake system too.  As a LQ1 owner, I've been told the rear bank spark plug change out is not fun or the timing belt or the alternator.  I personally don't like the design of the hood release cable as I've had to change mine out in the International.  So far, that's about it for me.  I haven't done the timing belt, spark plug, or alternator replacement yet so I can't say.  I've learned to just walk away from a vehicle no matter what it is and just cool off and try again.  Patience and some downtime helps keep my blood pressure down when working on vehicles!

I had a shop put new caliper on mine and he said "this car has the squirreliest ABS system i've ever seen. Neat car though" I had to walk away from mine yesterday and take a breather. 

Some people on this forum have told me that I'm lucky to NOT have ABS on the International.  Don't worry, yours will work out and it will be ok again and you will love your car again!

By the way, no luck with my local GM dealer and those parts numbers for your seat motor.  I'm keeping a lookout for any in the yards.  I'm assuming that GM used the same motors for all the W's on the non AQ9 seats?

If the parts were available for a ABS it wouldn’t be that big of deal. Had I known the parts for a hydraulic ABS system were as rare as they are I would not have bought the car. I’ve been trying to get the wire reconnected under the seat but it’s being a pain. I’ll let you know what happens. I have some other convertible parts I’ve discovered I’ve needed. 

Im going to give this junkyard here another try for those parts you need. Maybe they’ll come around. 

Edited by K&R

That's great!  Remember, I'm willing to pay for your expenses and whatever else.  If it doesn't work out though, it's no biggie and don't kill yourself trying to get them.

Give me a list of the convertible stuff you need.  I've seen a few this year in the yards, it's been a good or bad year for junkyard verts in my area, however you want to look at it.  I'm assuming the 88-90 Regals, and GP's would share the same motor but I'm not sure.  I don't know if the newer gens would work either but I can look for them.

I know absolutely nothing about the ABS systems on these cars, I just know they are not favorable.  I hope yours can be fixed or maintained.  I know it's a long shot but part numbers for the ABS system might help me find some NOS stuff should you need it.

12 hours ago, K&R said:

These fog lights are a joke. Mine come on like they should, but I can see no difference at all in road illumination from the driver seat.

31 minutes ago, James Robert said:

These fog lights are a joke. Mine come on like they should, but I can see no difference at all in road illumination from the driver seat.

The ones on my 96 CS sedan work ok, they do help but old technology is very apparent. 

1 hour ago, James Robert said:

Come to think, I don’t even know where the switch is for my fog lights. Lol. 

1 hour ago, K&R said:

Yes, that's where the top switch is. There isn't a button for my fog lights on the dash anywhere. I'm wondering if its not build in to the headlight switch somehow. 

Huh, that's interesting.  I guess I don't know and now I'm curious.  Is there a console mounted switch or something?  I would think there is a separate switch for them somewhere.  I might look in my parts catalog.

56 minutes ago, jiggity76 said:

Huh, that's interesting.  I guess I don't know and now I'm curious.  Is there a console mounted switch or something?  I would think there is a separate switch for them somewhere.  I might look in my parts catalog.

The only switches on the dash are the Convertible top, headlights, E/M conversion, Trip 1&2, Reset trip and then the Climate control, DIS and steering controls. 

9 hours ago, K&R said:

The only switches on the dash are the Convertible top, headlights, E/M conversion, Trip 1&2, Reset trip and then the Climate control, DIS and steering controls. 

Also, the 90 Vert that’s like mine in Scottsdale doesn’t have fog lights. I’m wondering if fog lights were an option?