Rear Suspension Struts Change

Nicutlass_Supremacy

I´ve recently change all the bushings in my Cutlass. But lately it´s been doing some strange things when turning to the right. I´ve found that one of the 4 rear struts that go along with the leaf spring has losen. It seems that both bushings are loose from that bar.

Is there any thing better to install there? Some adjustable struts like those in Corvette´s? I don´t want to use those bars again!!!

Thanks!

Do you mean the lateral arms?

The second gen ones are a direct fit for the rear ones with adjustability. The front either has to be shortened for the adjustable one or bought as the non-adjustable one.

The BMR's are nice but somewhat overkill for general use.

What one does is to purchase 4 of the OEM 2nd gen adjustable lateral arms (those arms fit a host of cars), as stated the long arms have to be shortened approx 1.5", one has to re-thread that shortened arm by the same 1.5".

Now one measures two of the new arms to match the center-to-center length of the solid forward arms under your 1st gen car and locks them into place & installs them in the same place. The new rear arms are adjusted to match the old *rear* arms length & those are used to set the rear toe on the car. Using 4 adjustable arms allows you the option of adjusting the rear track width to something other than stock  *within reasonable limits* if you choose to.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rearward-Adjustable-Track-Bar-Pair-for-LaCrosse-Impala-Monte-Carlo-Grand-Prix/310869567497?hash=item4861452809:g:OmwAAOSwcnxb3VJM:rk:7:pf:0

Edited by 55trucker

If you look at the right side there's 4 second gen lateral links with poly bushings. Two are replacements and two were modified by GOT2BGM for me.

Assuming there's a weld shop near you you could order 4 adjustable ones online, then take two of them and one of the old ones in as a template to have them shortened. 

20180428_115202.jpg

3 hours ago, 55trucker said:

^you did notice the geographical location of the OP?

No it's not obvious on the mobile site.

Either way, might still be cheapest to go to the nearest auto parts store and order some. I can imagine shipping anything from the US will be costly.

Just because he's outside the US doesn't mean the nearby auto parts stores won't get him some goodies for American iron.

^don't see why you could not... the cross section of the 2nd gen bushing is only marginally wider than the 1st gen bushing, the 1st gen bolts are more than long enough to be used safely.

Altho the 1st gen bar itself is rectangular the bushing is wider.

The 1st gen bolts are a pair coming in from both the front & rear of the spindle & not a thru bolt.

Out of curiosity Imp what is the actual dia of the 2nd gen long portion of the arm?

I'm doing this upgrade in the spring & as of yet haven't acquired the *new* arms.  I was under the impression that the dia is 28mm (1.25") so I'll need a 28mmx1.5 die to rethread the end of the arms after cutting them down to the needed length.

I'll have to measure them. The method used by others (including the ones Matt modded for me) was to cut them down in the middle of the long side and put a hunk of bar stock inside and weld them back up. The factory threads were left intact.