New Owner!

1987 GMC Jimmy

I’m the new owner of a 1990 Olds Cutlass Supreme sedan. Nothing too fancy here. It sat for fifteen years in what appeared to be somewhat adversarial conditions. It was located in the bayous of Cut Off, Louisiana, and it’s currently staying under the carport of my childhood home in Mississippi. 

It’s a 3.1L/4T60 car. It’s got crank windows and manual seats but power windows and locks. It’s got the base model digital cluster, cruise control, A/C, and the more basic radio option, however with a tape deck. 

So far, I’ve only been able to change the oil and filter, battery, and flush the cooling system (although I’m concerned that it didn’t do much good). Trying to crank it over yielded no results, and I don’t hear any fuel pump activity in the tank. A shot of starting fluid in the throttle body yielded a quick popping off. I bought a new pump, filter, and strainer sock  I’m scared that the whole sender will be a chunk of rust, and it won’t read the level properly or at all which leads me to what doesn’t work electronically... I’ll post those issues in the appropriate section. Here are the photos from the night I went to look at it two weeks ago today. My profile picture is a more recent picture after a two hour struggle at the car wash.

B4C23583-C09C-4F80-91A9-BEE3C6FE6199.jpeg

D21CD3BB-77A6-4164-9C9A-85FE671EFF82.jpeg

56DD8750-829C-4874-9503-53CD516133A9.jpeg

E9558B02-AD36-4D8F-B461-1EEC58697AF8.jpeg

0EA2239E-AD3C-4555-A5CF-D9AF95BA5825.jpeg

• Like 3

The tank can be cleaned up with some thinner and some rocks but honestly I'd replace it too because it's only like $60 and you're already planning to drop it.

KIT0508 is $130.79 on Rockauto and is a complete tank, sender, and pump. Oddly enough it's cheaper to buy the in-tank unit and fuel tank separately..... very odd.

Also the fuel filter should be changed, the fuel lines should be blown out with air and maybe even trickle some solvent down them, the fuel rail should be flushed, and the injectors should be replaced with a set from the wrecking yard.

The finish on that car needs a lot of work, but it doesn't appear to have any rust so it's in great shape by my standards, and the interior isn't horrible. That's an amazing find!

I wonder if it's pre-wired for power windows? It may be possible to convert it over and there's a wealth of knowledge here.

1 hour ago, Imp558 said:

The tank can be cleaned up with some thinner and some rocks but honestly I'd replace it too because it's only like $60 and you're already planning to drop it.

KIT0508 is $130.79 on Rockauto and is a complete tank, sender, and pump. Oddly enough it's cheaper to buy the in-tank unit and fuel tank separately..... very odd.

Also the fuel filter should be changed, the fuel lines should be blown out with air and maybe even trickle some solvent down them, the fuel rail should be flushed, and the injectors should be replaced with a set from the wrecking yard.

The finish on that car needs a lot of work, but it doesn't appear to have any rust so it's in great shape by my standards, and the interior isn't horrible. That's an amazing find!

I wonder if it's pre-wired for power windows? It may be possible to convert it over and there's a wealth of knowledge here.

Good ideas here. On the tank, I’m hoping it might not be horrible because it was bone dry, and the bottom looks okay so I’m just worried about the clumpy rust on the inside or rotten pump baffling. Excellent price on that, I’ll have to follow up. Are the injectors that sensitive? I’ve not dealt with injection more complex than TBI so that’s interesting but not so shocking. The paint is meh. The roof has some moderate surface rust spots but nothing penetrative or even compromising, really. The interior is almost perfect, the pictures don’t do it justice. I’ll grab some more pics when I’m back working on it in a couple weeks. The only issue there is a curling up of the dash pad by the defrost vent, but I’ve seen others with this so I’m assuming it’s a common issue. 

Yeah the dash curling is very common.  My car's doing it.  MemphisMan just found a junkyard car that had a perfect dash pad in it which is the first one I've ever seen not warped.  Weird.

Look forward to seeing your progress and it really is a nice find!  I love the first gen W's, especially the CS'.  Very cool that it has blue interior by the way!

Edited by jiggity76

I would definitely replace the injectors, it's like $20/ea to have them cleaned and $8/ea at a wrecking yard.

That gas tank really should be cleaned too but at that replacement cost personally I wouldn't put forth the effort.

As long as it's got spark you should have a running car after the fuel system is cool.

I would swap out the tank. Fuel in the tank that's left sitting attracts moisture and it may be weakened enough to have a leaking area. Besides, as someone else said, if you buy the whole thing with the fuel pump it's apparently cheaper.

Yeah, I went ahead and ordered the combo that has the tank, sender assembly, and straps. Going that route reduces the chances of something going wrong and having to overpay for more parts. 

• Like 1