UA-65274002-1 Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
AL

W-body Nationals June 2019

Let's start discussing this. I apologize for the past couple years on dropping the ball on planning this so I want to get the ball rolling early. I am not sure how to make a poll but let's get dates figured out. Most likely Toledo again. This is also posted on Facebook on the Wbody members page so I can reach everyone.

I was abrupt in my earlier post, apologies to Al and thank you for getting this moving so early so we can have a great 2019 meet, I've actually been cooking something for the past couple of months to pitch for the summer meet but you caught me off balance as I wanted to have a motel and rates and all before I posted.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I've been thinking about this for a while and would like to propose that this year's Summer meet happen in Erie, PA.

I started talking to people locally a while back and believe I can put together a good deal of activities, here's the proposed/optional itinerary that has resulted:

Friday:

Roll into a small motel (actually looking at a few already that would be privately owned and off the beaten path so we don't have any problems with noise levels and have more bargaining power as a group to secure good room rates. Two have pools ... again I'll scout ahead and get pictures, ect.. beforehand.)

Friday night:

Vote on dinner based on what's nearby and go eat, followed by the customary standing around in the parking lot drinking.

Saturday Morning:

Plan "A":

SCCA Autocross event at Lake Erie Speedway, spectate,drive your car, ride along with someone else... or sleep in and skip it if you'd prefer not to go. I've spoken to the SCCA about the possibility of us coming in preparation of this pitch already and we are welcome.

Plan "B":

Stand around the parking lot and drink.

Saturday Afternoon /Noonish:

Plan "A":

Our usual picnic hamburger/hotdog style lunch at Presque Isle State Park - Perry Monument (this shows up on GPS, which I value as a quality so we don't have to crazy convoy unless we want to for fun)

By the time we get there my Son will already have several kayaks and life vests waiting for those who wish to toss one in the water (we have 2 singles and 3 tandems, and enough life jackets which are mandatory to clothe a small army)

There are grills down there so cooking is not a problem.

Presque Isle has beaches, lagoons, (which are accessible a few feet from where I'd like to do this) and showers so if one were to have a kayak mishap there is a place to clean up and shower ten minutes from this location.

Plan "B":

Saturday Dinner:

Vote on style of food, Erie has everything, authentic Mexican and Thai, pizza joints and Italian, and literally everything in between. My little family is an insanely busy one so sadly enough I know every restaurant in town well - from the fine dining "underground" to which pubs have the best burgers and subs.

Plan "B":

Stand around the parking lot and drink .... but with Pizza or a grill or something.

Saturday night:

Plan "A":

I'm a member at a local chess club, there are chess boards there but I've never played chess there. "Clubs" can stay open until 3AM in PA and my club, "The King's Rook" has two levels.

Downstairs is a bar, a soft couchy area, seating at both tables and booths, and a tiered and sunken rave-like room with a large stage and a bazillion whirling lights in front of a dance floor and flanked by railing with elevated (or rather not sunken) walkways, one of which has another small bar.

Upstairs is another bar, another couchy soft area, more tables, another stage, a counter with very simple food like Hot Dogs, 6 pool tables, a dart board, shuffleboard table and a door leading out onto a deck where a tiki bar is. There is a short school bus which has been converted with booth style seating that's upstairs and provides minutes of entertainment as well.

Saturday in June means a band- a GOOD band will be playing downstairs and a reasonably good band will likely be upstairs.  Drinks range from reasonable to cheap, but there will be a cover for entry. I've spoken to management and made some loose plans, non-members are not allowed to buy drinks so we would be arranged as a "party" which means you would simply declare yourself as a W-Body.com member and get a hand stamp to buy drinks with member status for the night.

The dart board takes quarters like every dart board in every bar in every city, but pool, shuffleboard, and various board games (including chess... go figure) are free to play all night.

Plan "B":

Sunday Morning:

Breakfast at wherever - or - Lowville drag strip before departing for our respective homes.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

The Good:

Plenty to do, and a bit more centrally located for members that can't drive all the way to Toledo

The Bad:

If we want to Autocross we're limited to one weekend in June, or one weekend in July as the SCCA only races once per month like this.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Rich, there are not one but two BXX Evans in the Erie area, no worries.

If we do this I'll compile some information on paper and pass them out so everybody has proper names to GPS to stuff and a map to Presque Isle (again the lunch location does show on my Android GPS so a map would just be neat)

Please let's not let the W-Body.com meet be planned expressly on Facebook.com even if we decide against Erie, that really sucked that it went down like that for 2018.

Holy shnikies someone did his homework. Those are some fantastic ideas, especially with the automotive options. I'm down for Erie. Likely would show up in a c5 if I can make it, which will depend almost exclusively on my yet to be planned overseas trip. You've mentioned not having good junkyards, so that might be one drawback for some - not for me though. Does SCCA have a schedule yet so we can at least eliminate weekends if that's decided on?

Not that I'm aware of, I missed this month's meeting. It's probably the first Saturday were I to guess but if the speedway has a venue scheduled that could be a factor. 

I am 100% on board for everything you mentioned Tom. However. I know that the forums are not as popular as they were 10 years ago. I would hate to exclude people that dont browse the forums like they once did. I have posted it on the Wbody page only and if needed, I'll post that it is strictly for members of the Wbody community.

That would be ideal but realistically it will all happen on fb and we here in the actual community will have little to say. I checked there a couple days ago and no mention of my alternate city.

I've tried to coerce it further this way to shave some driving off to make it more accessible to members from the south.

Facebook didn't revolutionize social networking, it killed it.

I missed this because winter = not doing as much car stuff. I’m totally down for doing it in pa, assuming I can plan work/family stuff around it. If there was a location poll I’d vote for it. If nothing major car wise happens between now and then it’s going to be a tough decision which car to bring, though the gtp will most likely edge out the 06.

Al, I sincerely thank you for agreeing the discussion should be in one place, I didn't mean to come off the way I feel did.

The next SCCA meeting is in a week, I'll bring us up again and see if there's dates on the schedule. 

To be clear the SCCA event is open to anyone who gets a weekend membership so even if there was no communication with them that is still a GO, there's really nothing to coordinate but they may be cool enough to give us our own class or something depending on how many cars blow in from our group.

On the flip side, not wanting to beat your rare Getrag would be reason to autocross the third gen.

Ehh, as long as I can get home I’m good, I don’t get to enjoy the car enough as it is, the thrashing it for a few hours could be worth it, but I digress.

On 11/24/2018 at 9:01 AM, vipmiller803 said:

Holy shnikies someone did his homework. Those are some fantastic ideas, especially with the automotive options. I'm down for Erie. Likely would show up in a c5 if I can make it, which will depend almost exclusively on my yet to be planned overseas trip. You've mentioned not having good junkyards, so that might be one drawback for some - not for me though. Does SCCA have a schedule yet so we can at least eliminate weekends if that's decided on?

Closest one would be LKQ in Dayton which is huge as hell. I went there 2 years ago. But it would be a 3 hour drive from Toledo.

On 11/26/2018 at 1:30 PM, AL said:

I am 100% on board for everything you mentioned Tom. However. I know that the forums are not as popular as they were 10 years ago. I would hate to exclude people that dont browse the forums like they once did. I have posted it on the Wbody page only and if needed, I'll post that it is strictly for members of the Wbody community.

Yeah but not all of us have facebook. I refuse to have one.