Weird electronic event

James Robert

Was driving the '95 Cutlass with the top down today and found out that there is a warning chime if you forget your turn signal is on too long (top down, didn't hear the clicking), and when I turned off the turn signal, my stock stereo got much louder. It never was very loud, but now suddenly it seems to be quite powerful.

I found out awhile back the CS has this feature.  I haven't tried it out on my 96 CS winter car yet but apparently my 91 International is suppose to have it too.  Not sure if the other W's have this feature.

Edited by jiggity76

My 96 has the turn signal warning. I don't know if the 95 does or not because I haven't left them on yet. 

Second Gen W-Bodies do the bongs and beeps through the stereo, at least the Monte does but neither of my First Gens do though so I'd wager these events are not related in your Cutlass.

I'm going to try the 96 winter car when I get it back and see if it does it, it should.  The first gen CS' are suppose to do it according to the window sticker for my 89 International, not sure about the 91 International, I don't have the original window sticker for it but I would think it would do it too.

It seems to be a hit or miss feature. None of my 1G Grand Prixs ever had it. I think they all probably got it with the late 1G dash redesign. 

On 11/10/2018 at 8:18 PM, Imp558 said:

Second Gen W-Bodies do the bongs and beeps through the stereo, at least the Monte does but neither of my First Gens do though so I'd wager these events are not related in your Cutlass.

Only certain 2Gs do this, and as far as I know only the Chevys. The Pontiacs and Buicks definitely do not.

Edit for clarification: the bong through the radio, not the turn signal chime. All 2Gs have the chime AFAIK.

28 minutes ago, digitaloutsider said:

It seems to be a hit or miss feature. None of my 1G Grand Prixs ever had it. I think they all probably got it with the late 1G dash redesign. 

Only certain 2Gs do this, and as far as I know only the Chevys. The Pontiacs and Buicks definitely do not.

My '93 GP and the '94 Regal have it for sure. Not sure about the TGP's as I've never left the signal on to check. I quickly flipped through a 1990 owner's manual and don't see anything about it in those.

I still have the '01 GTP owner's manual and it says it has this feature on page "2-48" and that you'll get a chime if the signal is left on for more than 3/4 of a mile.

29 minutes ago, jiggity76 said:

I found my 89 International's window sticker, pretty cool that it has this feature.  I'm waiting to hear back from MemphisMan on his 91 CS coupe to find out if they do it too.

tL8BzT.jpg

"Touring Car ride and Handling" :thinking:

On 11/10/2018 at 6:12 PM, James Robert said:

Was driving the '95 Cutlass with the top down today and found out that there is a warning chime if you forget your turn signal is on too long (top down, didn't hear the clicking), and when I turned off the turn signal, my stock stereo got much louder. It never was very loud, but now suddenly it seems to be quite powerful.

My friend Danielle and I were just talking about it as her Park Avenue has it and she did not know. I liked it on my '94 Cutlass enough that I integrated it in to my 1989 GMC.

Edited by ManicMechanic

Oddly enough, my Aztek does not seem to have it and my late MIL's 1999 Park Avenue did not have it as she left her signal on for long periods of time often.

On 11/10/2018 at 6:12 PM, James Robert said:

Chime via radio on some vehicles doesn't concern me.  Having the turn signal affect the volume of the radio does.

Edited by Schurkey

I've never had a car with this feature before. Was GM assuming that Oldsmobiles would be driven by old people? I guess I'm officially elderly now that I'm driving along, unaware of my turn signals being on...….

I just got off the phone with MemphisMan and he was driving his 91 LQ1 5 speed coupe.  He said after about 1/2 mile, it gives you a warning chime, pretty loud, I could hear it on the phone.