Wagner H5597 rear brake caliper slider pin boot kit with phosphor bronze bushings

snippits

Ran across this kit at RockAuto  for the rear brakes on my 92 Cutlass Supreme with the ratcheting calipers.  This kit is suppose to give longer service life to the slider pins.

Suppose to remove the old slider pins.  Use the included tool to install the phosphor bronze bushings into a cleaned bore.  Grease it with silicone grease, and then install the included stainless slider pins.  Install the new rubber dust boots.

Anybody install this kit yet?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wagner-F130340-Front-Caliper-Slide-Bushing-Repair-Kit-For-88-93-Regal-Lumina/401565144156?epid=1734307813&hash=item5d7f25d45c:g:3qMAAOSwC-JbQ6oo:rk:2:pf:0

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=542243&cc=1223233&jsn=490

Edited by snippits

Going to service the rear left caliper slider pins with the Wagner kit soon.  The OTC service kit is not absolutely necessary, but it will make the job easier if you have stuck pins and dirty bores.

Will be easier to service if you have OTC 7639 GM W-Body Brake Bushing Service Set.  It includes a bushing driver, 180 grit hone, and a 1-1/4 inch wire brush.  The bushing driver is used to drive out stuck slider pins.  The hone cleans the bores where the slider pins are installed.  The wire brush cleans the grooves where the rubber boots seat into the bore.

https://www.otctools.com/products/gm-w-body-brake-bushing-service-set

7639_2808_0.jpg?itok=HH7MYmli

Edited by snippits

I have a tool I made that works for cleaning the slide bores and a lot more. 

Mine is a 1/4" shoulder bolt, head cut off and about a half inch long slot cut in from the end.

I put a hunk of emery cloth in the slot and spin it with a die grinder or drill.

The shop I used to work at we called them "Flappers", I made mine to thread onto a little arbor that I have here but half the time I chuck it in like it is.

One day I'll make a longer one with some 1/4" rod from the hardware store.

20181115_133516.jpg

Looks to be a good home made tool/idea.

I checked the slider pins last week on the rear caliper that has been installed for about 18 months, and the pins are still moving back and forth but they are getting slow.  I bet they are going to lock up again.  It's never ending with these rear calipers. 

I lost reverse in my transmission because my wife was driving it, and did not tell me the rear caliper was grabbing after she released the park brake.  The car is parked on a down slope, and gets backed out of the drive way.  Dang sure don't want that to happen again.

Hopefully, when I get the rubber boots off, the slider pins come right out, and there is no rust or corrosion.  The Wagner kit mentions emery cloth is needed, and I have plenty of that.  I was just going to wrap some emery cloth around a wooden dowel, and have at it.  

I have a can of ACDelco 10-4019 silicone brake lubricant that I got from RockAuto when I was ordering various parts.  It's silicone infused with PTFE.  $18.54 a can at RockAuto.

Ever since I lost reverse in the Oldsmobile transmission(fixed now), I have been OCD over the rear brakes.  Servicing calipers is a lot cheaper than transmissions.  I just did a complete brake job all the way around plus new rotors on the front.