Regal Window Trims

pwmin

The new Regal has the same issue with the outside window trim as my last one did and so as is with just about every other one that hasn't been garage kept.  You know, the dilapidation of the rubber and plastic.  Has anyone found a solution to this yet?  I don't want to spend the money on NOS ones even if they're available and I highly doubt I'll see any in a junk yard that are okay.  So far, I've just removed the peeling plastic and am going to repaint them, but the rubber part that seals against the window I'm not sure what to do about.  I don't like the idea of it sitting outside and having water and everything else getting down into the door. 

I could never find a good solution to it. Back in the day, Rob Eye recommended peeling all the plastic off and repainting it, but like you, I didn't like the idea of eliminating the window sweep. 

Just have to keep your eye out for a set of good ones. Freeze cycles and salt DEFINITELY do them in. The ones on my '01 are perfect except for one small nick in the hard plastic on my driver's window, and I think I did that with an ice scraper by accident. The car never saw salt or winter driving, so I'm guessing that's what keeps them in nice shape. 

Ah-hah!  We had made 1 Regal out of 2 a few years ago and I kept a lot of parts off of it.  I found most of, maybe all of the lower trim on the windows.  Only had 1 of the uppers, but they're all in MUCH better shape.  Plus I kept the cowl pieces, which were broken out by hail  It does have some hail damage, but it's not horrible.