Need some help with what seems to be wiring issues

NCTyphoonKid

Need some help trying to figure out some issues I’m having with my z34. My dash lights only come on when I turn the radio on and they are super dim, if I turn the radio off I have no lights. The radio lights are also super dim. The dome light stays on also with doors closed. The dimmer switch is not stuck on so I know it’s not the dimmer switch affecting the dome light. The radio is a factory delco CD player, the wiring was cut for the radio by the previous owner and I believe I have everything hooked up correctly according to diagrams I looked at. Also the hvac controls don’t work, I have no functions at all from it and swapped a spare unit I have and that didn’t fix it. I’m at a loss and really need some help figuring this out

43 minutes ago, ManicMechanic said:

Perhaps you got the gray wire mixed up? I know there are two gray wires, one is for the LF speaker and one is for the dash light dimmer.

I tried that hoping it was something small like that but it didn’t do anything

It sounds like you have diagrams.

Obviously check the fuses first.

Test the power, ground, and illumination wires at the hvac controller and radio.  (You'll have to test illumination voltage and move the dimmer knob.)

6 hours ago, Imp558 said:

It sounds like you have diagrams.

Obviously check the fuses first.

Test the power, ground, and illumination wires at the hvac controller and radio.  (You'll have to test illumination voltage and move the dimmer knob.)

I will double check fuses when I get home, I have a couple basic diagrams but wiring isn’t my thing. I’ve just gotten stumped on this problem 

Do you have a multimeter? 

I would first remove the radio and check the value on the illumination wire going to it. This should have voltage when the lights are on, and should change as you adjust the dimmer on the headlight switch I would assume. 

Same with the HVAC. pull the plug out, determine which pin is power and make sure that it is getting power.

Do you have pictures of the wiring fixes you made so we could see?

1 hour ago, jimmyfloyd said:

Do you have a multimeter? 

I would first remove the radio and check the value on the illumination wire going to it. This should have voltage when the lights are on, and should change as you adjust the dimmer on the headlight switch I would assume. 

Same with the HVAC. pull the plug out, determine which pin is power and make sure that it is getting power.

Do you have pictures of the wiring fixes you made so we could see?

I haven’t soldered them yet so please don’t hate I’m going back and fixing them, I I checked the illumination wire with the multimeter with headlights on and off and will post a pic of the readings I got, 

E4EF5560-E55A-4300-9742-0A542A180FF5.jpeg

For some reason the forum will not let me upload anymore of my pictures, the readings I got with the multimeter was 04.3 with lights off and with lights on I got 13.5, I wish I could post the pictures

My bud Korey just sent me some pics to my email for this thread.  He can't get the site to load his pics for some reason and now I can't either.  I can't even load them onto a file on my computer either.  If someone wants me to email them the pics to help him out, I'm ok with that.

Ok I got the hvac controls working someone broke the ground wire for those. Now to just get the dash lights and dome light figured out and it will be golden 

Got the issue figured out and got the lights working again, had a messed up wire. One thing I have now is all the lights work but the hvac controls, has anyone replaced the bulbs in that? If so how difficult was it. The red indicator lights work but the illumination lights don’t