Good replacement pillar door handles?

Brodizzle83

My drivers door handle finally broke tonight. Wondering if anyone can steer me in the right direction for a good replacement. I was thinking about these...comes with both and they have a 10-year warranty!22a5f5c75dc53704ab262993c190ea7a.jpga23d845b60a52813dfb510defa28c4c1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

That seems too good to be true. Who will be backing this warranty? Either way, if they last even two years, that's a bargain price. I started buying AAP's home brand ones and they have done okay for their price.

This is the one Advance auto sells on the right. Overall not bad but they could have done the reliefs under the door handle cleaner.

I have to release the handle quickly to get it to settle in it's fully rested position too.

Take lots of pictures of the inside before you dismantle it and be careful with the fragile lock illumination ring.

20180930_135111.jpg

• Like 2

They are made of a cast aluminum-like pot metal. Broke is typiclly broke with that stuff.

Maybe a TIG welder could do a repair to them but my guess is it would pop and melt and end up in a puddle of crap.

I'm saving my broken one for a day when I can fix it or totally destroy it with a TIG, don't hold your breath for the outcome because I can't afford a nice welder any time soon.

I thought only some models of the Cutlass Supreme got the lock illumination ring. To bad those arent replaceable, its one of my favorite things about the pair Ive got.

What you can do to extend the life of any of them is only use the handle to unlatch the door, then grab the door elsewhere to pull it open. I normally grab the top of the door frame at the top corner to pull the door open. If you only use the handle like I've seen plenty of people do to fully open the door, then you're going to eventually break them no matter if it's a factory handle or an aftermarket replacement. Let your passengers know how to open the door properly as well!

• Like 3

On 10/4/2018 at 5:09 PM, rich_e777 said:

I thought only some models of the Cutlass Supreme got the lock illumination ring. To bad those arent replaceable, its one of my favorite things about the pair Ive got.

My Regal has it...I think it was drivers side only for the ones that had the ring, though.

What you can do to extend the life of any of them is only use the handle to unlatch the door, then grab the door elsewhere to pull it open. I normally grab the top of the door frame at the top corner to pull the door open. If you only use the handle like I've seen plenty of people do to fully open the door, then you're going to eventually break them no matter if it's a factory handle or an aftermarket replacement. Let your passengers know how to open the door properly as well!
That's a damn good idea! I honestly dont know why I didnt do that, as I am always so careful about things like this.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

On 10/4/2018 at 5:09 PM, rich_e777 said:

My 93 Z34 had illuminated locks,,, I'm pretty sure both sides lit up.... When they worked!!!

Tom B...