Fuel pump resistor/relay question

SnowDrift

On my '99 GTP, it would start, then die after running a few seconds.  I could repeat the process as much as I wanted, but it continued to do the same thing.  Suspecting the relay, under the hood, I removed the relay closest to the fender, which I believe is part of controlling the 2 speed pump.  I bent the #85 tab back and plugged back in.  The car started fine and I drove home.  I understand the resistor can be problematic, so does the resistor cause the relay to fail or would the resistor fail on its own? 

The relay isn't the failure point, the resistor is. You can either get a new resistor, or just bypass it altogether (like it is now) and run it in high speed mode all the time. Re-wire kits like the Racetronix and Casper's just have a jumper and run it full speed 24/7.

Pick up a roll of 14ga wire and just re-wire it yourself. The factory wire is too small anyway.

If you have a trunk mount battery you can use the factory to enable a relay back there and do a really nice rewire.

On 10/2/2018 at 9:24 AM, digitaloutsider said:

The relay isn't the failure point, the resistor is. You can either get a new resistor, or just bypass it altogether (like it is now) and run it in high speed mode all the time. Re-wire kits like the Racetronix and Casper's just have a jumper and run it full speed 24/7.

You guys told me that would burn the pump up faster and to just replace the resistor.