Fuel Pump Replacement, what is the best brand that will last longer?

89-W-Body-Regal

Ok well it comes down to this, the regal needs another fuel pump. The original pump lasted 27 years that was produced by GM. That pump was replaced 3 years ago with a Carter Pump. Since the pump didn’t last like I thought it would, what brand pump would you buy? What pump can last 10 years? Is it such a thing anymore for buying a good part? Shops like to charge so much for crap parts and they don’t last long like you expected they would. I am debating on which pump should I buy. Lots of W-Body guys say go with stock and buy ACDelco, but one other guy said buy Bosch because it’s made in the USA with good pressure and not China. I have a potential lead with a good sending unit, it’s an original NOS GM part like the one that lasted 27 years. Just debating on good pumps now that last long.

Edited by 89-W-Body-Regal

I had really good luck with Bosch pumps in the past for purely OEM replacement parts. Granted, that's been nearly a decade ago now, so who knows how the quality is at this point.

Carter stuff has pretty consistently been trash.

The OEM pump on my Trailblazer was a Bosch.  The replacement Bosch was Mexican, I think.

I put a "Made In USA" AC pump into my pickup.  I think they've outsourced to China now.

If there's an option, I would absolutely avoid Chinese crap.  Maybe that's not possible any more.

The number-one cause of premature fuel pump failure is grit (rust, dirt) in the gas tank.  Be sure to replace the fuel pump strainer, and be sure to clean out the tank before dropping the sending unit/pump assembly back into the hole.

I was also looking at GM pumps and the good pump that was from the factory is discontinued, but... that same part number is still being used as BOSCH now, it’s made in the usa. Deplphi is not and is made for GM cars. What’s the difference of both brands? Delphi is made in China and BOSCH is made in America. Wouldn’t the one made in America be the best bet?

If the plan is to build the car later it may be wise to go with a cheap pump now since you may want to Walbro 255 later.

If you're keeping it stock my money would be on the USA Bosch.

7 hours ago, Schurkey said:

The OEM pump on my Trailblazer was a Bosch.  The replacement Bosch was Mexican, I think.

I put a "Made In USA" AC pump into my pickup.  I think they've outsourced to China now.

If there's an option, I would absolutely avoid Chinese crap.  Maybe that's not possible any more.

The number-one cause of premature fuel pump failure is grit (rust, dirt) in the gas tank.  Be sure to replace the fuel pump strainer, and be sure to clean out the tank before dropping the sending unit/pump assembly back into the hole.

How long did your pump last? Is it still working good? I know ACDelco works best for our cars, but since they don’t make parts good anymore I need to get the best pump so it can last longer

Honestly, I'd just pick one. Bosch is the OEM for most Mopar stuff, and Delphi makes most of the GM stuff. I don't really think one of these is going to be much better than the other. 

If we're going off pure anecdotal evidence, the Bosch in my Jeep was still churning away at 230,000 when I sold it, and the Delphi one in my first Regal just shit the bed a couple of years ago at something like 280k. 

Wild Guess:  Delco/Delphi does not MAKE pumps any more.  They buy them from Bosch--or some nameless, faceless Chinese factory.  At least, that's what was going on in 2003 when my TrailBlazer was built.  The factory-original pump was a Bosch, and I bought another just like it for a replacement.  That pump has now got almost as many miles on it as the original, so I'm likely to be buying another in a year or so.

The Delco pump in my pickup has been flawless since the day it was installed.  Again, that pump is old enough to have "Made in USA" on the box.

Edited by Schurkey