Ignition switch replacement

W30olds

On my 95 GP I believe the ignition switch is going bad. Sometimes when I turn the key it won't start the engine. Can hear the starter ingage, lights all work, radio works but sometimes it won't start. After a few attempt it starts right up.

Has anyone ever changed one on a 95-96 and is it something I can do or do I need specialty tools? Maybe need a mechanic to replace it?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

On 9/28/2018 at 10:58 AM, W30olds said:

On my 95 GP I believe the ignition switch is going bad. Sometimes when I turn the key it won't start the engine. Can hear the starter ingage, lights all work, radio works but sometimes it won't start. After a few attempt it starts right up.

If you hear the starter engage, the switch is doing it's job.  You have a starter problem, or a battery/wire harness problem.

For the record, there's a huge difference between "won't crank" and "cranks, but won't start".  You aren't clear about which is happening.

Edited by Schurkey

If you hear the starter engage, the switch is doing it's job.  You have a starter problem, or a battery/wire harness problem.
For the record, there's a huge difference between "won't crank" and "cranks, but won't start".  You aren't clear about which is happening.
Sometimes it won't crank and then I will try again and its fine. When it does crank it fires right up without any problems. It's been intermittent really. Just started doing this last week, but it's not everytime I start the car. It's weird

2 hours ago, Schurkey said:

Yep, if the solenoid clicks you probably have a bad starter.

Really be a good idea to inspect the engine grounds and battery cables before condemning the starter though.

Yep, if the solenoid clicks you probably have a bad starter.
Really be a good idea to inspect the engine grounds and battery cables before condemning the starter though.
I just replaced the starter not long ago. Not so sure that's the issue. I'll check the wires

2 hours ago, W30olds said:

I just replaced the starter not long ago. Not so sure that's the issue. I'll check the wires

Did you replace the starter with a new unit or a another used item?

Did you replace the starter with a new unit or a another used item?
It was a GM starter. GM reman I believe

A loose or corroded battery terminal can cause weird stuff. Clean and tighten your battery terminals, if issue still occurs, clean your ground points. Also check the date on your battery. If it's too old, it could cause issues. Then drive to a parts store and have them test the battery, and the charging system. Rule these simple things out first, then proceed to the starter, and ignition switch. 

13 hours ago, W30olds said:

It was a GM starter. GM reman I believe

One can rule out the starter itself by testing it *still in the car* by using a remote starter switch, one lead directly to the positive side of the battery, the second lead goes to the ign terminal on the starter. Repeatedly press the button, if the starter responds in a normal manner all the time then start looking upstream for your issue. Disconnect the fuel pump relay when you perform this test.

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/371310437355-0-1/s-l1000.jpg