Dumb question?

James Robert

I'm preparing to change the timing belt on the LQ1 at 53k miles. I understand I need to have it at TDC on compression stroke. Without a distributor, what's the best way to determine when it's on the compression stroke? Also, I need to buy the correct size torque socket for the idlers and tensioner. What size is it?

Thanks.

1 hour ago, cheatah faheatah said:

Old school way for TDC ; Remove #1 plug, Cover hole with finger, Slowly rotate engine until you "feel" compression.

Yeah, I thought about that, somehow figured there was a 'new school' way. That's what I'll do. Thanks.

If this is your 1st venture into the timing of the cams on this engine the process can be intimidating.

You'll need the proper tools to do the job, a service manual to guide you, without the tools you can very likely not get the timing correct the 1st time & end up doing the process again until you do get it right.

Finding TDC for #1 can be done from #4 as the two are paired together. To find TDC properly one should really use a piston stop screwed down into the cylinder & adjusted to just come into contact with the piston near TDC that brings the piston to a stop when the crank is rotated forward before TDC (ALL OF THE SPARK PLUGS ARE PULLED), one places a mark both the dampener & the front cover, then one rotates the crank in the reverse direction back until the piston once again comes into contact with the stop.Once again one marks the dampener & the front cover, halfway between the two marks is TDC, that's where you make a permanent mark & set the crank position to. Without moving the crank again you can now go about removing the plenum & the carrier covers to expose the camshafts & install the locks to *lock* the cams so they cannot move. Assuming that nothing is out of adjustment the cams flats should be straight up.

To do the job properly one has to release the pulleys from the front end of the camshafts. After the belt & accessories are replaced one will go thru the process of rotating the crank multiple times to 1. set the tension on the belt, 2. time the front cams & lock the pulleys into place, 3. time the rear cams (doing the same process).

Not trying to put you off, but one needs the tools.

51waXSgy3yL._SL1100_.jpg

https://www.autozone.com/repairguides/GM-Century-Lumina-Grand-Prix-Intrigue-1997-2000/ENGINE-MECHANICAL/Timing-Belt-and-Sprockets/_/P-0900c15280217b96

https://www.johnheard.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Home-Made-TDC-Tool.jpg

Edited by 55trucker

On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 9:05 AM, Schurkey said:

Torque socket?

Do you mean Torx?

A little disappointing that you would take the time to point out my spelling error, yet make no effort to actually answer my question......

I dont know the answer to your question, I can tell you, knowing this community for the years that I have been here, you wont get an answer by coming off half cocked like that. Maybe the person doesnt live and breath W-Body.com, or had to find the book to get the socket size. I know you are just trying to get some info for your project, but you have to remember, some of us know the answers to your questions, and we probably arent going to answer when you have what is perceived as an attitude problem.

Good luck, and slow your role man.

1 hour ago, pontiac6ksteawd said:

I dont know the answer to your question, I can tell you, knowing this community for the years that I have been here, you wont get an answer by coming off half cocked like that. Maybe the person doesnt live and breath W-Body.com, or had to find the book to get the socket size. I know you are just trying to get some info for your project, but you have to remember, some of us know the answers to your questions, and we probably arent going to answer when you have what is perceived as an attitude problem.

Good luck, and slow your role man.

Funny, I always though it was "Slow your ROLL" ? 🤔 

• Haha 1

Yea, well, you know how it is when you type this stuff out on a small little phone screen with sausage fingers LOL.

I think it goes..

Slow your roll

Know your role

and

Shut your hole! LOL