OBD-1- 33 Code: Map Sensor or Higher Circuit

89-W-Body-Regal

Has anyone had any luck fixing this so the code won’t come back in the future? Today my Buick Regal 2.8 V-6 had a hard time starting. It drove fine all day, when coming home from the store it was running rough and noticed a delay when trying to accelerate like the car was slowing down on me when I tried to accelerate. I had to pull over in a parking lot and the engine shut off on me. It just kept cranking afterwards when trying to start it. I am experiencing all the symptoms that would qualify for a faulty map sensor, although GM map sensors aren’t common for going bad. All the vacuum lines are ok and most of them have been repaired so I know I am not loosing any vacuum. Fuel filter has also been replaced a year ago and air filter is clean. I also replaced the fuel rail test valve because that was leaking gas. 

Edited by 89-W-Body-Regal

14 hours ago, Dark Ride said:

Did you replace the map sensor?

Not yet, I did order a new one. The reading on the scan tool was too high. The connector was tight on the sensor and so was the vacuum lines which were good.

Even if the sensor turns out not to be the culprit it's probably ancient. 

Would be a good idea to verify 5v and low reference and check continuity on the signal wire to the ECM though.

8 hours ago, Imp558 said:

Even if the sensor turns out not to be the culprit it's probably ancient. 

Would be a good idea to verify 5v and low reference and check continuity on the signal wire to the ECM though.

I did that today. The readings were so off. I applied vacuum to the sensor and the reading didn’t change like it should do.. Plus the reading I got didn’t even match the readings from the spec chart. And it’s the original map sensor. So that makes sense it would need to be replaced.

Edited by 89-W-Body-Regal

If you read across the gray and black wires and get reasonably close to 5V then the 5V reference and low reference are good. 

Then disconnect the battery,  unplug the PCM and check continuity from the light green wire to the PCM plug and it should be about .2 ohm.