lim gaskets

James Robert

I see images of the replacement intake gasket sets for the LQ1 include an "O" ring with them.  Is this the o ring for the oil pump drive or does it go on the intake itself?

Not being able to see what you're referring to ..

the only O-ring that would be included in the kit would be the coolant bypass O ring that is between the plenum & the intake...

it is to the rear of the coolant thermostat housing, right under the throttle body

Edited by 55trucker

4 minutes ago, 55trucker said:

the only O-ring that would be included in the kit would be the coolant bypass O ring that is between the plenum & the intake...

it is to the rear of the coolant thermostat housing, right under the throttle body

OK, thanks. I figured that out shortly after I made this post. Nice looking GP! I used to have a Pontiac 6000STE and loved that car. What kind of coolant do you recommend for the LQ1?

50 minutes ago, James Robert said:

What kind of coolant do you recommend for the LQ1?

That engine doesn't require any sort of *special* coolant, regular coolant in a 1 gallon jug (50/50 or concentrate is again your choice, I never use 50/50), whether or not you prefer long-life over normal is your choice (just don't mix them as that defeats the long-life properties).

But do NOT use tap water to add to the concentrate, use deionized or at the very least purified water. Tap water is not softened, with time it will develop lime deposits in the system.  

*One other note*

the manifold bolts are torqued to only 18 FT.LBS,  an inch lb. torque wrench is far more accurate, most 1/2 drive torque wrenches don't begin to read until 20 ft.lbs.

18 ft.lbs is 215 inch.lbs

Edited by 55trucker
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, 55trucker said:

the manifold bolts are torqued to only 18 FT.LBS,  an inch lb. torque wrench is far more accurate, most 1/2 drive torque wrenches don't begin to read until 20 ft.lbs.

18 ft.lbs is 215 inch.lbs

My 1/2 drive bottom-of-scale is 50 ft/lbs. (50--250 range)  I have a 3/8 with 20 at bottom-of-scale. (20--100 range)

On 9/9/2018 at 11:46 PM, Schurkey said:

My 1/2 drive bottom-of-scale is 50 ft/lbs. (50--250 range)  I have a 3/8 with 20 at bottom-of-scale. (20--100 range)

Exactly what he's trying to warn you about!!

The torque for those bolts is lower than both of your torque wrenches start at. 

• 1 year later...
On 9/9/2018 at 10:49 AM, 55trucker said:

Ah, so this is the O ring for the plenum to intake area that was in my gasket kit.  Thanks 55!

20200606_100902[1].jpg