Rear seat removal?

James Robert

Can anyone tell me how the conv back seat comes out?  I've got the lower part out and the two nuts off the backrest, but I can't see how to lift off the top part.

Was just back there detailing my `95 Vert, will take a look and get back to you. I know the rear section in the coupe version has two tabs on either side that slide into place so you`d have to lift up before they come loose. IIRC there was no screws or bolts but just a way to "clip" the section in.

52 minutes ago, rich_e777 said:

Was just back there detailing my `95 Vert, will take a look and get back to you. I know the rear section in the coupe version has two tabs on either side that slide into place so you`d have to lift up before they come loose. IIRC there was no screws or bolts but just a way to "clip" the section in.

I thought it would just lift straight up like I've done on other GM cars, but I tried that and can't get it to budge.

It looks like the same design for the Vert and coupe, Ive got the rear seat out of my 1994 and the 1995 Vert appears to be the same. At the top its just a metal bar that clips into the metal plate behind the seat, at the bottom of the rear section there might be a bolt on each side as there is a sort of metal bracket with a hole in it mounted to the seat section.

Make sure you pull the bottom portion of the seat back toward you.  Doing so will clear the bottom mounting brackets from the studs.  Once you clear the studs, just lift one side at a time to release the top of the seat.

1 hour ago, rich_e777 said:

It looks like the same design for the Vert and coupe, Ive got the rear seat out of my 1994 and the 1995 Vert appears to be the same. At the top its just a metal bar that clips into the metal plate behind the seat, at the bottom of the rear section there might be a bolt on each side as there is a sort of metal bracket with a hole in it mounted to the seat section.

Thanks, I'll try again in the morning. While in in there, I'm going to take out the center seat belt because it looks messy and I doubt I'll ever have three people in the back.

58 minutes ago, James Robert said:

Thanks, I'll try again in the morning. While in in there, I'm going to take out the center seat belt because it looks messy and I doubt I'll ever have three people in the back.

Don't completely remove it.  Just don't pull the ends through the seat bottom when you go to reinstall.

13 hours ago, MemphisMan said:

Don't completely remove it.  Just don't pull the ends through the seat bottom when you go to reinstall.

Good idea, I'll do that.

Just to follow up, I was finally able to get the seat out by lifting it straight up. For some reason, it was just squeezed VERY tight between the two side panels, restricting movement.

8 hours ago, James Robert said:

Just to follow up, I was finally able to get the seat out by lifting it straight up. For some reason, it was just squeezed VERY tight between the two side panels, restricting movement.

Were there two or three bolts holding the bottom of the back cushion down?

18 hours ago, MemphisMan said:

Were there two or three bolts holding the bottom of the back cushion down?

Only two (nuts) holding it down at the base. Now I can tidy-up the area back there. The seat belt retractor housings are not very well secured and rubbing against the sheet metal, so I'm adding some rubber isolators. I hate rattles and squeaks!

On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 8:43 PM, K&R said:

I have a 90' Cutlass vert and mine has 3 bolts on the back of the top section of the seats. Once those are removed it lifts out.

Congrats on the 90 vert, those are very rare and wonderful cars!  Post some pics and info please!

• 2 years later...

hi all. My rear quarter window on my 94 cutlass vert just stopped working.  Motor seems fine but off the track.  Looks like I have to take out the rear seat to get at and remove the rear panel.  Any easy options  thanks