Hood insulation.

jiggity76

My 91 International has a really bad hood insulation piece that I would like to replace.  What years of CS would work?  Can I use one from a GP or Regal?  The area around the hood lamp is really bad and missing a lot of insulation material.  I'll look at the 89 International parts car but I think it's just as bad.

VR5j10.jpgViLYHZ.jpg

Also interested.

Alrighty.  I got the part number for it and looked at GM parts sites but of course they don't have them anymore.  I also checked a parts site that has old new stock stuff and no results came back.  Looks like the junkyards is our only option.

Tough part will be cost of shipping.  Huge piece = Expensive

They won't roll up and rolling or folding will ruin it.

I forgot about that.  I'll probably have a hard time just finding one for my car.  I was hoping someone would know if the Regal or GP would work or what other years of CS would work too.

Is there a larger vehicle that its still available for? Lay yours out on top of it and cut it down.

I've been looking at Bonneville and a few others.  Nothing close enough to be workable.  Mice got to mine a little.  I have a friend that is an automotive upholsterer.  I'm going to see if he can come up with a material that is similar to the outer layer skin and cement it on.  I never attacked one this way but its worth a shot as only my outer skin is hurt.

It would be cars people give a Shit about, CamEro, Corvette .... Those will be available.

There are other hood insulations out there, that is not the problem.  The problem is that they are all form fitted to their own style of hood.  The form fitting around all the crossbracing is the biggest issue.  The other major issue is shipping.  Not long ago there was a NOS hood insulation for a Firebird on Ebay.  The part was around $50.00 but the shipping was $179.00.  There is no way around that unless you are lucky enough to live close to where the part is located, then you can pick it up.

Is there a larger vehicle that its still available for? Lay yours out on top of it and cut it down.

Never thought of that.  The thing I'm concerned about is replicating the insert tabs on the side where it locks into the metal holes of the hood.  I suppose you could always cut the shape out of a larger piece from another vehicle make/model.

I hate to say it because you guys are purists and I respect that but there's aftermarket options. Maybe making use of the silver stuff wouldn't be factory but it's a superior product. I want to say there's a black one too that would still be incorrect but so few people would even know that it may be the best/most cost effective solution.

Silver stuff?

I hate to say it because you guys are purists and I respect that but there's aftermarket options. Maybe making use of the silver stuff wouldn't be factory but it's a superior product. I want to say there's a black one too that would still be incorrect but so few people would even know that it may be the best/most cost effective solution.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Anybody can modify a car.

It takes perseverance to bring one back.

Really superb!  It's coming together so beautifully!  How hard is it to remove the window and beltline trim?  Did you see my STE?

I like it, but it looks a little funky

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

There's other places that sell universal stuff, google - "universal hood insulation"

This brand seems to make a bunch:

https://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sku/Univ/Metro_Moulded/Hood_Insulation/M71HI3.html

https://www.rockauto.com/en/tools/body,hood,hood+insulation+pad,1000334

• Like 2

Really superb!  It's coming together so beautifully!  How hard is it to remove the window and beltline trim?  Did you see my STE?

More time consuming than difficult.  The biggest bitch is the rear door handles.  GM must have started with those and built the car around it. :motz2:  :bang:

• Like 2

There's other places that sell universal stuff, google - "universal hood insulation"

This brand seems to make a bunch:

https://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sku/Univ/Metro_Moulded/Hood_Insulation/M71HI3.html

https://www.rockauto.com/en/tools/body,hood,hood+insulation+pad,1000334

I like those way better than the silver one, thank you.  It's a contender but I'm still going to search the yards.

More time consuming than difficult.  The biggest bitch is the rear door handles.  GM must have started with those and built the car around it. :motz2:  :bang:

How did you remove them, is there a tool to use, bolted on or do they slip over the inner and outer panels with clips or something?  I'm guessing they lock onto a channel?  I'm curious because I need to do this to my STE someday and want to do it properly.  Some of my beltline trim rubber is split and hanging off the car (the one below the rear quarter window glass).

dknB1p.jpgAtr4rE.jpg

How did you remove them, is there a tool to use, bolted on or do they slip over the inner and outer panels with clips or something?  I'm guessing they lock onto a channel?  I'm curious because I need to do this to my STE someday and want to do it properly.  Some of my beltline trim rubber is split and hanging off the car (the one below the rear quarter window glass).

dknB1p.jpgAtr4rE.jpg

Mirrors first.  Then the belt moulding gets pried off.  That just grips onto the pinch weld with clips.  After that, the glass run channel needs to be pulled out of the upper trim moulding to expose all the phillips screws.  Remove all the screws around the upper trim moulding and pry it off.  It will be stuck a bit due to a foam-rubber insulator.  After all the perimeter trim is removed the wide black applique gets popped off.  Rear doors are similar.

Mirrors first.  Then the belt moulding gets pried off.  That just grips onto the pinch weld with clips.  After that, the glass run channel needs to be pulled out of the upper trim moulding to expose all the phillips screws.  Remove all the screws around the upper trim moulding and pry it off.  It will be stuck a bit due to a foam-rubber insulator.  After all the perimeter trim is removed the wide black applique gets popped off.  Rear doors are similar.

Thank you so much, I was really sweatin it about how to replace these pieces.  I figured there are clips and screws somewhere but I don't want to damage anything that's reusable.  The door cladding is held on with screws and clips too right?  What about the chrome trim pieces that run along the front fenders and rear quarters?  Looks like there is a screw mount hole for the front fenders at least, maybe the same for the rear quarter pieces.  It's funny, these cars were probably put together on the assembly line really fast.