91 vs 95 LQ1 Comparison

MemphisMan

Just some pics showing the differences between the two engines. Both are in Cutlass Supremes. The red body is a 91 coupe and has a 5 speed Getrag 284 manual transmission. The green body is a 95 convertible has a 4 speed 4T60E automatic transmission.

Edited by MemphisMan

So I see the difference in the airbox, engine cover, dipstick, cylinder head shape, engine coolant reservoir, and anything else?  Oh yeah, ABS vs non ABS windshield washer bottle.

‘96 is easy to spot, the plenum is a completely different shape.

EDIT:  Also, the '96-up has the ignition coils mounted on the passenger side of the plenum, instead of in front of the exhaust manifold, and a different style EGR, which is visible next to the intake, much like standard 60* V-6 cars...

Yours is a pre ‘94 (no cam position sensor on the front head), but a ‘94-up valve cover.

The MAP sensor on the passenger side rear of the plenum is a good sanity check, because ‘94-up don’t use a MAP.

Edited by Galaxie500XL

I'm gonna guess a 95 or 96.  Dipstick is throwing me off a little though.

Correct.....it's a 95 engine,

the car is a '91,

being a '95 what DON'T you see when looking at the top end?

Correct.....it's a 95 engine,

the car is a '91,

being a '95 what DON'T you see when looking at the top end?

I'm not well educated on these yet and I have to admit I cheated a little bit.  I saw the HUD on the dash and knew it was a 91-93 car but the cylinder head looks newer than that so I assumed it wasn't correct for the year of car.  The dipstick has been changed out though right?  Every LQ1 I've seen from 93 up has the yellow pull ring type not the T-handle and I've never seen a yellow T-handle one, just the black ones like mine.

I see the bolt hole for the cam position sensor, but no hole for the sensor.

Precisely,

the carrier casting is the later casting (94-97), the last four digits for the casting # is 2167, the 91-93 carrier casting # is not the same #, the earlier castings don't have the female threaded hole for the sensor bolt retainer, but you can see there is no machining at all for the sensor location.  

I'm not well educated on these yet and I have to admit I cheated a little bit.  I saw the HUD on the dash and knew it was a 91-93 car but the cylinder head looks newer than that so I assumed it wasn't correct for the year of car.  The dipstick has been changed out though right?  Every LQ1 I've seen from 93 up has the yellow pull ring type not the T-handle and I've never seen a yellow T-handle one, just the black ones like mine.

My 93 Z34 had a yellow T Handle stock... When I broke mine and got a new one (from my buddy at the Dealer), it was yellow as well...

Tom B...

My 93 Z34 had a yellow T Handle stock... When I broke mine and got a new one (from my buddy at the Dealer), it was yellow as well...

Tom B...

Interesting, I have yet to see one in a junkyard car.  I definitely know the yellow pull ring ones will not fit over the end of the dipstick tube in my car.  I'm grabbing any black T-handle ones I see though.

thanks for posting those red 5speed shots, they'll be very useful in the future for my swap.  Whats the status of the red 5 speed anyway?  Is it a driver?  hope this wasn't found at the JY.

thanks for posting those red 5speed shots, they'll be very useful in the future for my swap.  Whats the status of the red 5 speed anyway?  Is it a driver?  hope this wasn't found at the JY.

He got it from a guy on CL in the Kentucky area.  Very nice car!

thanks for posting those red 5speed shots, they'll be very useful in the future for my swap. Whats the status of the red 5 speed anyway? Is it a driver? hope this wasn't found at the JY.

It’s a driver. Just bought it last week. It’s in great shape. If you need any additional pics during the swap, just let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 months later...

Since both are running really nice now, I just figured I'd capture the magic while it lasts 🤣

The vert still needs transmission work, but it's basically put away for the winter anyway.  

Sounds good. I'm also using your photos to tidy up my '95 engine bay. Could you tell me what the device is that is at the top passenger side of the plenum? (photo) Mine is broken and patched up with black RTV and I want to get a new one if it can be found. I can see that my wiring harness is not routed right (photo). At least I did get the coolant bottle and area cleaned up.

SAM_0332.JPG

SAM_0333.JPG

SAM_0334.JPG

5 hours ago, MemphisMan said:

Since both are running really nice now, I just figured I'd capture the magic while it lasts 🤣

The vert still needs transmission work, but it's basically put away for the winter anyway.  

What happened to the tranny? Wondering if you recently changed the fluid. Some, including myself,  believe that new fluid can actually cause transmission failure.

11 hours ago, James Robert said:

Could you tell me what the device is that is at the top passenger side of the plenum? (photo) Mine is broken and patched up with black RTV and I want to get a new one if it can be found. I can see that my wiring harness is not routed right

SAM_0332.JPG

That device is supposed to be the MAP sensor. Your harness is partially blocking the view of it.

If you go looking for that in the aftermarket you're probably going to find everything points to the *regular* MAP sensor which looks like this.........

https://http2.mlstatic.com/sensor-absoluta-map-ftx-pontiac-trans-sport-1990-1998-D_NQ_NP_960241-MLM26457829009_112017-F.jpg

One of the vacuum lines that is attached to it is the feed to the modulator on the trans housing. The other should be the feed to the fuel pressure regulator. That third line (which looks to be capped off) goes to a vacuum port on the intake next to the PCV. If that device is leaking or it is blocked then those three functions could/may be upset. The intake tube is definitely not working.

Edited by 55trucker

16 hours ago, James Robert said:

Sounds good. I'm also using your photos to tidy up my '95 engine bay. 

Here are some engine bay pics that might be helpful.  These were taken 9 days after I purchased the '95 back in 2010.  The car had less than 400 miles when the pics were taken, so essentially, this is how they looked off of the showroom floor.  I just noticed the pic of the hood...I hadn't even figured out at that point that the light was disconnected.

IMG_0288.JPG

IMG_0282.JPG

IMG_0283.JPG

IMG_0284.JPG

IMG_0285.JPG

IMG_0286.JPG

IMG_0287.JPG

IMG_0279.JPG

IMG_0280.JPG

IMG_0281.JPG

IMG_0262.JPG

IMG_0263.JPG

IMG_0264.JPG

IMG_0265.JPG

IMG_0266.JPG

IMG_0267.JPG

IMG_0268.JPG

IMG_0269.JPG

IMG_0270.JPG

IMG_0271.JPG

IMG_0272.JPG

IMG_0273.JPG

IMG_0274.JPG

IMG_0275.JPG

IMG_0276.JPG

IMG_0277.JPG

IMG_0278.JPG

Thanks for the extra photos. I was wondering why my hood bumpers had paint around the base. I guess that's how they came. Did you figure out why the transmission is failing with such low miles?

5 hours ago, 55trucker said:

That device is supposed to be the MAP sensor. Your harness is partially blocking the view of it.

If you go looking for that in the aftermarket you're probably going to find everything points to the *regular* MAP sensor which looks like this.........

https://http2.mlstatic.com/sensor-absoluta-map-ftx-pontiac-trans-sport-1990-1998-D_NQ_NP_960241-MLM26457829009_112017-F.jpg

One of the vacuum lines that is attached to it is the feed to the modulator on the trans housing. The other should be the feed to the fuel pressure regulator. That third line (which looks to be capped off) goes to a vacuum port on the intake next to the PCV. If that device is leaking or it is blocked then those three functions could/may be upset. The intake tube is definitely not working.

OK, thanks. You're right, the replacements seem to be the earlier style. The car runs fine, so I may just leave it alone or try to find a'95 LQ1 in the JY. 

10 hours ago, James Robert said:

Thanks for the extra photos. I was wondering why my hood bumpers had paint around the base. I guess that's how they came. Did you figure out why the transmission is failing with such low miles?

I haven't figured out the tranny issue on the vert.  It started shortly after I drove it to the meet this past June.  Here is the thread on it...